"Vancouver, BC, Canada!" Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver by jamiesno

Vancouver Travel Guide: 3,957 reviews and 8,257 photos

Quick Synopsis

I was enroute to Whitehorse, Yukon on two occassions for work and each time I got to see Vancouver. The first time I saw only the airport, the second time I was wiser and planned to couple of days in Vancouver to scope the place out!

Next time I'll be wiser again and hopefully spend a week or more. It is an amazing part of Canada.

Vancouver was named for Captain George Vancouver, who in 1792, fourteen years after sailing here under Captain Cook, returned to the area in 1792, and spent the next two years exploring the area in search of the western end of the "Northwest Passage".

Vancouver is the largest city in the province of British Columbia and the third largest city in Canada. It's surrounded by water on three sides and is nestled alongside the Coast Mountain Range. Vancouver is home to spectacular natural scenery and a bustling metropolitan core, and boasts one of the mildest climates in Canada.

The City of Vancouver supports a wide range of destination sites-- from more than 190 parks to three different civic theatres -- that are interesting places to visit for tourists and residents alike. Vancouver is also home to many other sights and is networked by a comprehensive transportation system.

Thoughts on Vancouver!

For me I will always remember the hot weather in May, the number of tourist and local resident enjoying the outdoors.

Vancouver is certainly a modern city where you will find a lot of people enjoying the weather and walking much like you see a lot of in Europe.

I will also remember the green spaces and close proximity of parks, mountains and downtown Vancouver!

You will need a week to explore this area and do it justice at a minimum.

There are simply a lot of sites to see right in the downtown area, not to mention surrounding areas, Victoria, Whistler and the list goes on.

They say it is the third largest city in Canada but I would have to say it is also one of the top three cities in Canada to visit for activities, culture, experiences available, weather, diversity and tourism products.

• Pros:Parks!
  • Cons:A little misty at times!
  • In a nutshell:Amazing, beautiful and very much in touch with nature!
  • Last visit to Vancouver: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 18, 2004

• Dec 30, 2009 at 5:10 AM

Homeless people are not dangerous..If you don't like reality, then stay home, and learn to spell

• Oct 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM

So you were uncomfortable witnessing a gang sexual assault on a woman? You need to critically examine your privileged position and how that allows you to cast your gaze upon those who, living in the public arena of the streets, have no means to avert it.

• Jan 8, 2009 at 1:47 PM

First off, you have no compassion and that I think that it is pretty appaling that you would write something like this. Even though you may not think it but those people are people just like you and me and im glad they made you feel umcomfortable.

• Dec 31, 2008 at 8:23 AM

You should getcher funky white ass over to the "other" side of the tracks once in awhile and learn something about the world you live in and about systemic, institutionalized poverty and racism dude. It will give you a little more character...

• Sep 12, 2008 at 1:24 AM

I wonder why a tourist in any city in the world would venture down a back alley to photograph homeless people and post it here??

• Feb 4, 2008 at 7:49 PM

i have been building rock sculptures on the shores of english bay for 21 years now. the structures i build are monuments to my family and friends that have died. the first one being for my brother neil in 1987. you can see my work at www.terryrobison.com

• Aug 30, 2007 at 10:26 AM

Jame, it would have been so nice to hear you didnt run, but in fact showed a measure of empathy for what you saw. You missed a growth opportunity.

• JennysTravels's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Great tips. Im planning a trip out there soon. Cheers!

• bobsreturn2004's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2006 at 9:05 AM

Thanks for all your reviews on Vncouver,I cant wait to see it myself.

• Jul 21, 2006 at 4:34 AM

I am a 'merchant' working in the downtown eastside, my name on the street in flako (means skinny). I'm originally from honduras. I can tell you that if a crack head or junkie tries to harras a tourist, the 'merchants' will stop it.

jamiesno

“Little by little, one travels far. J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973)”

Badges & Stats in Vancouver

Have you been to Vancouver?

Latest Activity in Vancouver