"Wabush - Labrador City - Churchill Falls" Wabush by jamiesno

Wabush Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 81 photos

Quick Synopsis

Western Labrador is an area of big business! The twin mining towns of Wabush and Labrador City are homes and products of two very big mining companies. Wabush Mines in Wabush and the Iron Ore Company of Canada in Labrador.

Churchill Falls down the road 239 kms was once the largest hydroelectric project in the world and today remains the world's largest underground power plant lighting up the eastern USA seaboard.

I have traveled to Wabush / Labrador City many times for work and many more times to Churchill Falls to visit my inlaws over the years so I know both regions fairly indepth.

Due to the VT database, Labrador City and Churchill Falls don't have seperate pages. For the purposes of navigating my site, Wabush and Labrador City are the same both towns are side by side. All of my Churchill Falls tips are in sequential order under "Off the Beaten Track".

Thoughts on Labrador West

Labrador West is one of the great industrial regions of the Newfoundland and Labrador province. From iron ore to hydro development in Churchill Falls many people don't realize what is happening there.

I always enjoy my visits. The people are great and its one of the premiere spots in Newfoundland and Labrador to hold a conference.

Be warned as well in January it can reach temperatures such as -50. That is cold!!!

• Intro Updated Feb 15, 2005

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2006 at 1:54 PM

We loved your photos and descriptions of the Churchill Falls power plant and the iron mine tour. The pre-plant falls looked beautiful - too bad they can't let a little more water keep flowing over them.

• Mar 27, 2005 at 1:26 PM

That was nice picture of Wabush area.. We were kidding when we were youngers about the place's name but at least.. I found very interesting all those informations avalaibles there! Continue the good work and be please of the work done

• cazz38's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2005 at 7:45 AM

Great page Jamie,stunning pictures and they even named an Inn after me.lol.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2005 at 6:58 PM

This is a really geat page Jamie!! Thanks for the virtual tour of Churchill Falls, the best information on it that I have ever seen! Maybe the next time I'm in Wabush I will hop in a car for the drive!!

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2005 at 1:09 PM

A very interesting page Jamie. Of course the "Former Glory" Falls are so much nicer, but technology..... How is little Jonah ?

jamiesno

“Little by little, one travels far. J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973)”

Badges & Stats in Wabush