"Whitehorse in the Canadian Yukon Territory!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Whitehorse by jamiesno

Whitehorse Travel Guide: 146 reviews and 270 photos

Quick Synopsis

Whitehorse and the Yukon has amazing scenary, nice people and a real sense of history in relation to the Gold Rush era!

I was in Whitehorse two times now for work related purposes and thanks to the airline policies that state your ticket is cheaper if you stay over on a Saturday night, I have been able to explore the Yukon and Alaska now.

I always highly recommend the Yukon especially if you would like to get away from any big city. The wide open spaces are very refreshing, clean, clear and crisp!

Why did they call it Whitehorse?

I found Whitehorse a pleasent city to just walk around, the streets are clean and there is a nice small town atmosphere.

Here is a small bit of history for you. I like knowing why a place is calld what it is! The City of Whitehorse was established as a trans-shipment point during the Klondike Gold Rush of 1898. It was originally given the name "White Horse" by the gold miners who thought that the rapids at Miles Canyon looked like the manes of charging white horses. Whitehorse was incorporated as a city in 1950 and in 1953 the capital of the Yukon was transferred from Dawson City to Whitehorse. The name of the city was originally spelled as two words, until the Geographic Board of Canada combined them on March 21, 1957.

The name Yukon is from the Locheux native word "Yuk-un-ah" which means "great river." It refers to the Yukon River which flows across the Yukon territory into Alaska.

• Pros:People, history, scenary!
  • Cons:It can get real cold!
  • In a nutshell:Worth the visit for the mountains and history alone!
  • Last visit to Whitehorse: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 4, 2005

• Sep 24, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I would, however, recommend the Jam Night, Thursdays at the pub in the Best Western Hotel, The Gold Rush Inn. My room is exactly above the stage so I can hear it all from my room right now. Perfect. Good musicians tonight, thankfully.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Great and very useful tips. I hope to stop there on the way soon. Thanks for accommodation tips.

• AmazingAdventures's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2007 at 7:08 PM

Cool stuff! Brings back good memories of my 4 summers working up in this area :) Susan

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2006 at 8:16 AM

What a wonderful place! Thanks for the info about birdwatching, I am a bird watching enthusiast. Your pictures are also very good.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2005 at 7:15 PM

I'll keep this in mind. Hopefully will be able to make a stop here on my next Alaska trip in the summer. I was in Alaska in the mid of winter last year & saw similar sceneries from those of your travelogues on the airplane!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2005 at 9:44 AM

Very interesting tips and photos. Whitehorse is one of the places I dream of visiting. Experiencing the Yukon Quest would be awesome.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2004 at 12:41 PM

I saw my missing hubcap in Exhibit B. Thanks for helping me nail the culprit! And thanks for the compliment on my opening photo. Happy New Year.

• melissa_bel's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2004 at 3:35 PM

Hmmm... the West meets the North... I think I'd like it there. Great pictures, Jamie. It's an interesting place. And to think I almost made it there!!!

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2004 at 3:22 PM

Really interesting page on Whitehorse! I presume the dog racing involves them pulling sledges rather than just running as in a horse race?

• orke's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2004 at 3:10 PM

great pics - i love it - i really need to go there :-)

jamiesno

“Little by little, one travels far. J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973)”

Badges & Stats in Whitehorse

Have you been to Whitehorse?