"Whitehorse in the Canadian Yukon Territory!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Whitehorse by jamiesno
Whitehorse Travel Guide: 146 reviews and 267 photos
Whitehorse and the Yukon has amazing scenary, nice people and a real sense of history in relation to the Gold Rush era!
I was in Whitehorse two times now for work related purposes and thanks to the airline policies that state your ticket is cheaper if you stay over on a Saturday night, I have been able to explore the Yukon and Alaska now.
I always highly recommend the Yukon especially if you would like to get away from any big city. The wide open spaces are very refreshing, clean, clear and crisp!
I found Whitehorse a pleasent city to just walk around, the streets are clean and there is a nice small town atmosphere.
Here is a small bit of history for you. I like knowing why a place is calld what it is! The City of Whitehorse was established as a trans-shipment point during the Klondike Gold Rush of 1898. It was originally given the name "White Horse" by the gold miners who thought that the rapids at Miles Canyon looked like the manes of charging white horses. Whitehorse was incorporated as a city in 1950 and in 1953 the capital of the Yukon was transferred from Dawson City to Whitehorse. The name of the city was originally spelled as two words, until the Geographic Board of Canada combined them on March 21, 1957.
The name Yukon is from the Locheux native word "Yuk-un-ah" which means "great river." It refers to the Yukon River which flows across the Yukon territory into Alaska.
- Pros:People, history, scenary!
- Cons:It can get real cold!
- In a nutshell:Worth the visit for the mountains and history alone!
For the bird lovers you should visit MacIntyre Marsh. It is a living marsh that is cherping with birds and plenty of... more travel advice
Yukon is well known for its innovation and I have provided a web site to that effect. On of the key innovators has been... more travel advice
- Grey Mountain Road
- See All Yukon Mining Company
- See All Folknits
- See All Old Log Church
jamiesno's Related Pages
Whitehorse Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Whitehorse in the Canadian Yukon Territory!!"
- "Welcome to Whitehorse, Capital of the Yukon!"
- "a great little city in a big way:)"
- "cobrioc's new Whitehorse Page"
- "Whitehorse - the adventure gets started"
- "Kindra's Whitehorse Page"
- "Whitehorse is a Year-round Destination"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Whitehorse
- Hotels in Whitehorse
- Transportation in Whitehorse
- Nightlife in Whitehorse
- Restaurants in Whitehorse
- Shopping in Whitehorse
- Warnings and Dangers in Whitehorse
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Whitehorse
- 31 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Whitehorse?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Whitehorse
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 148 reviews, 319 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 233 photos
- Toronto Intro, 50 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 39 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 79 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 91 reviews, 110 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 69 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 49 reviews, 134 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowknife Intro, 68 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Battle Harbour Intro, 65 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues