"North of 60! Yellowknife, Northwest Territories!" Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowknife by jamiesno

Yellowknife Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 222 photos

Quick Synopsis

I travelled to Yellowknife for work to attend a tradeshow titled Access North. The tradeshow was geared toward promoting the Northwest Territories as a place to do business.

Capital of the Northwest Territories since 1967, Yellowknife is named after the Yellowknife Dene who moved into the area in the early 1800's. It lies within the traditional hunting area of the Dogrib Tribe who re-occupied the land following the decline of the Yellowknife Chipewyans in the 1820's.

The name Yellowknife is derived not from the gold mines within the city, but from an Indian tribe which once lived in the area and were known as Yellowknives because they used copper implements. When gold was discovered here in the 1930s and the first settlement started, people from three neighboring tribes, the Chipewyan, the Dogribs and the Slavey moved into the area from their adjacent hunting grounds.

Thoughts on Yellowknife

Yellowknife for me was a great experience and opportunity to experience the Canadian north. There is an aurora about the north and lures people there.

Yellowknife is a modern town, very clean in a great setting. There is about 18000 at the time of my visit.

Here is some touristic proof of my trek to the Canadian north! I am in the North of 60 Club.

I felt travelling there in the fall was also very appropriate, the fall colors where beautiful! The Cameron Falls was amazing and I never fail to get amazed when I see the Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis and they were out in full force one night while I was in Yellowknife.

• Pros:Scenery! The wild food.
  • Last visit to Yellowknife: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated May 5, 2005

• Feb 23, 2010 at 2:27 PM

This place is NO longer in business

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2009 at 4:07 PM

I have only heard of it for TV Canadian Mounties and hunt for minerals. It really is a lush and green place. Wonderful job of presenting the area.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Great page!

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2007 at 11:14 AM

This is definitely a place I want to visit one day! Great page!

• Travmad's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2006 at 8:21 AM

Cool Page! I hope to visit Yellow Knife in the future.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2005 at 7:18 PM

Infomative page! I met a couple from Yellowknife last year in Tasmania. It's interesting how far we trek across the world, isn't it?

• Minstrelette's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2005 at 1:32 PM

Thanks for your wonderful tips on Yellowknife. I'm very interested in travelling here one day, and I'll definitely come back to visit your page before doing so.

• Sybo's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2005 at 12:40 PM

Giant mine is now shut down. There is no more mining activity going on. Great tips about Yellowknife.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2005 at 6:49 AM

Interesting tips! Our local paper had a long article on the Northwest Territories today (including Ragged Ass Road in Yellowknife), so I thought I'd have a look and see what VTers have to say about some of these places.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2005 at 11:53 AM

Is the food bill over beer bill law really enforced? You are right (and there is a Richmond example of this) not to judge the quality of a restaurant by its outward appearance. Interesting page. I enjoyed it.

jamiesno

“Little by little, one travels far. J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973)”

Badges & Stats in Yellowknife

Have you been to Yellowknife?