"North of 60! Yellowknife, Northwest Territories!" Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowknife by jamiesno
Yellowknife Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 221 photos
I travelled to Yellowknife for work to attend a tradeshow titled Access North. The tradeshow was geared toward promoting the Northwest Territories as a place to do business.
Capital of the Northwest Territories since 1967, Yellowknife is named after the Yellowknife Dene who moved into the area in the early 1800's. It lies within the traditional hunting area of the Dogrib Tribe who re-occupied the land following the decline of the Yellowknife Chipewyans in the 1820's.
The name Yellowknife is derived not from the gold mines within the city, but from an Indian tribe which once lived in the area and were known as Yellowknives because they used copper implements. When gold was discovered here in the 1930s and the first settlement started, people from three neighboring tribes, the Chipewyan, the Dogribs and the Slavey moved into the area from their adjacent hunting grounds.
Yellowknife for me was a great experience and opportunity to experience the Canadian north. There is an aurora about the north and lures people there.
Yellowknife is a modern town, very clean in a great setting. There is about 18000 at the time of my visit.
Here is some touristic proof of my trek to the Canadian north! I am in the North of 60 Club.
I felt travelling there in the fall was also very appropriate, the fall colors where beautiful! The Cameron Falls was amazing and I never fail to get amazed when I see the Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis and they were out in full force one night while I was in Yellowknife.
- Pros:Scenery! The wild food.
I am joking in this tip about the warning or danger component. This picture though was one of my favorite ones from... more travel advice
I didn't buy anything in this shop but if your interested in a warm winter parka this was the place to keep warm. I... more travel advice
jamiesno's Related Pages
Yellowknife Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "North of 60! Yellowknife, Northwest Territories!"
- "Cabana Boy's Yellowknife Page"
- "Darby2's Yellowknife Page"
- "Macgyver-11's new Yellowknife Page"
- "Yellowknife - Northwest Territories - Canada"
- "Carl / Nicole Bisaillon's Yellowknife page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yellowknife
- Hotels in Yellowknife
- Transportation in Yellowknife
- Nightlife in Yellowknife
- Restaurants in Yellowknife
- Shopping in Yellowknife
- Warnings and Dangers in Yellowknife
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yellowknife
- 68 Reviews
- 111 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Yellowknife?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yellowknife
Photos in YellowknifeSee All Photos (111)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 148 reviews, 319 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 233 photos
- Toronto Intro, 50 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 39 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 79 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 91 reviews, 110 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 69 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 49 reviews, 134 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowknife Intro, 68 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Battle Harbour Intro, 65 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (65)
Latest Yellowknife hotel reviews
- Super 8 Motel - Yellow Knife
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- The Gold Range Hotel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2010
- Capital Suites Yellowknife
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- The Yellowknife Inn
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Explorer Hotel
- 120 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Arnica Inn
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 18, 2013