Seattle Nightlife Tips by jamiesno Top 5 Page for this destination
Seattle Nightlife: 149 reviews and 142 photos
Me on May 5th celebrating Cinco de Mayo
Cinco de Mayo is the anniversary of the Battle of Puebla in 1863 when a peasant army of Mexicans defeated the French who had occupied the country since the US was involved in its own Civil War.
It is only a Mexican celebration and in many ways is more celebrated north of the border and is obviously embellished by the beer companies. Mexican resturants often have great parties and do a brisk business on this day.
This has nothing to do with anyone of Puerto Rican, Cuban, Venezuelan, or other Latin American countries.
For the most part, the holiday of Cinco de Mayo is more of a regional holiday in Mexico, celebrated most vigorously in the state of Puebla. There is some limited recognition of the holiday throughout the country with different levels of enthusiasm, but it's nothing like that found in Puebla.
There are lots of people from Mexico in Seattle and based on the celebrations of May 5th it might be fair to assume a lot of them are also from the Puebla region. That is my logic anyway based on this very brief research.
I had a fun time at Mama's but on this day avoided the Corona specials and continued on touring Seattle :-) My recommendation to you though if you have lots of time and not doing anything the next morning be sure to enjoy the fiesta!
Theme: Eating and Drinking
More Reviews (68)
- See All Space Needle
- See All Jack in the Box
- See All Horse and Carriage
- See All Seattle Advocates
- See All Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate
- See All Strange Street Stories!
jamiesno's Related Pages
Seattle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The famous Space Needle in Seattle"
- ") @ L was great!"
- "Emerald City of the Northwest"
- "It's not always raining in Seattle"
- "Never Sip-less in Seattle"
- "A Great Place to Live"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seattle
- Hotels in Seattle
- Transportation in Seattle
- Nightlife in Seattle
- Restaurants in Seattle
- Shopping in Seattle
- Warnings and Dangers in Seattle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seattle
- 69 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Seattle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seattle
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 148 reviews, 319 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 233 photos
- Toronto Intro, 50 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 39 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 79 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 91 reviews, 110 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 69 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 49 reviews, 134 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowknife Intro, 68 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Battle Harbour Intro, 65 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (65)
- Space Needle- 91 Reviews, 162 Photos
- Pioneer Square- 62 Reviews, 94 Photos
- Pike Place Market- 146 Reviews, 220 Photos
- Ballard Locks- 24 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Downtown Seattle- 46 Reviews, 80 Photos
- Experience Music Project - EMP- 46 Reviews, 71 Photos
- Fremont District- 14 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Museum Of Flight- 26 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Aquarium- 26 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Whale Watching- 5 Reviews, 12 Photos
See All Seattle Things to Do