"Is it really just the rock? Where is Labrador?" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Newfoundland and Labrador by jamiesno
Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Travel Guide: 1,113 reviews and 3,283 photos
To be technically accurate the correct name for this province is Newfoundland and Labrador. I have also attached a map, that accurately portrays the province as a whole.
I have emailed Virtual Tourist and hopefully the name change will be reflected soon throughout this web site but in the mean time now you know!!!!
Labrador is the mainland portion of Newfoundland and Labrador and the place to visit for the ultimate in adventure tourism!!
This is where I consider "home".
If there is any sense of adventure in you, visit this pristine final frontier in Canada!
The rest of my Newfoundland and Labrador travel tips will focus on the northern region of the province that are a little more isolated and take a little more sense of adventure to get to, so the challenge is out there! The Labrador region is massive and even though it is my home region very few local residents have even managed to see it all!!!
Labrador is a large geographical region with a land mass area of 294,330 square kilometers. Geographically, the United Kingdom or Atlantic Canada could fit into the land mass of Labrador.
The Labrador region of the province of Newfoundland and Labrador is approximately three times the size of the Island portion of the province, yet less than 10% of the province’s population lives here.
Labrador has 32 communities, of these, 26 are stretched along the extensive coastline. There are 2 urban centers in Happy Valley-Goose Bay and Labrador City.
Here is a famous quote but don't let it scare you away!
"...it should not be named the Newland, but the land of stones and rocks, frightful and ill-shaped. - Except at Blanc Sablon there is nothing but moss and stunted wood; in short, I dream rather than otherwise that it is the land God gave to Cain."
I CONSIDER THE WHOLE OF LABRADOR 'GODS COUNTRY' :-)
Since Labrador is where I consider "home" I don't know where to start but I have grown to really appreciate the region and understand what makes it special and how all the regions collectively make Labrador one of Canada's most diverse and untamed regions.
The number of different cultures, different geographies and industries make it a very special place. It is often referred to by some as the "Big Land" and you'll get that feeling once you start exploring it!!
Please follow up tips on this region and there are some communities that I have been able to drill down further on for you. You can find them within the tips and go from there or here are some of them below as well:
Battle Harbour, Labrador
North West River, Labrador
Happy Valley - Goose Bay
The Labrador Straits
- Pros:The landscapes, people and different cultures.
Labrador has one premier sporting event and its the Labrador Winter Games. Roughly 400 athletes participate from as many... more travel advice
A landscape painting by Peter C Stone. more travel advice
- See All Labrador Creative Arts Festival
- See All Gros Morne National Park
- See All Central Labrador in the Fall!
- See All Trans - Labrador Highway in the Fall
jamiesno's Related Pages
Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Is it really just the rock? Where is Labrador?"
- "Newfoundland - One of Canada's Last Frontiers"
- "Newfoundland - Amazing and Unforgettable!"
- "Finally we visit our last province!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Hotels in Province of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Transportation in Province of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Nightlife in Province of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Restaurants in Province of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Shopping in Province of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Newfoundland and Labrador
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Newfoundland and Labrador
- 550 Reviews
- 1,048 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 13 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Province of Newfoundland and Labrador?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Newfoundland and Labrador
- updated a Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Travel Page "Is it really just the rock? Where is Labrador?"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: EuroMeet-2014 in..."
- Wrote a Review Labrador Winter Games in Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Labrador Winter Games"
Photos in Province of Newfoundland and LabradorSee All Photos (1048)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 148 reviews, 319 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 233 photos
- Toronto Intro, 50 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 39 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 79 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 91 reviews, 110 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 69 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 49 reviews, 134 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowknife Intro, 68 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Battle Harbour Intro, 65 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues