"The United States Capital - Memorial City!!" Washington D.C. by jamiesno
Washington D.C. Travel Guide: 5,735 reviews and 15,376 photos
During a trip to Toronto, Ontario, Canada in February 2007 I decided to use some aeroplan miles to travel to Washington, DC, USA. I went by myself to check the place out and see what it was all about there.
I stayed at the Hostelling International location on 11th street or I should say I slept at the HI. I was walking most of my time there. I estimated over 14 miles that Saturday working to all the monuments.
It is hard to sum up my thoughts on Washington, DC but I felt the international significance of the city and its power over the rest of the world. After visiting the White House and later that day seeing the President's helicopter you could sense you were in the Capital of the United States.
Beyond it being the "capital" the rest of my thoughts where over somber and make you reflect. Putting the past president monuments to one side there are a lot of war memorials and I felt they had an affect on me. I personally do not agree with war and after seeing war memorial after war memorial and the Arlington Cemetary you get a sense of how many people have died and freedom is indeed not free.
I later went to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and that was very sad and hard to comprehend.
Overall I am very happy I visited Washington besides those two overwhelming thoughts, it was clear the city is also vibrant, diverse, historic, intellectual and has great entertainment areas.
- In a nutshell:Definately a significant place to visit.
Just a note of clarification it would be easy for you to think you are in Washington, DC all the time but the Reagan... more travel advice
During my visit to Washington I seen the Tourmobile regularly but decided to stay on foot, with such a tight time... more travel advice
- See All China Town
- See All Internal Revenue Service Building
- See All National Archives
- See All West Potomac Park
Written Feb 24, 2007
Views from Washington Monument
Written Mar 25, 2007
jamiesno's Related Pages
Washington D.C. Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neither American nor European City :-)"
- "Washington DC"
- "Washington D.C."
- "MY HOMETOWN"
- "Washington D.C."
- "My Hometown"
- "Welcome to Washington DC our Nations Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Washington D.C.
- Hotels in Washington D.C.
- Transportation in Washington D.C.
- Nightlife in Washington D.C.
- Restaurants in Washington D.C.
- Shopping in Washington D.C.
- Warnings and Dangers in Washington D.C.
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Washington D.C.
- 39 Reviews
- 173 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Washington D.C.?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Washington D.C.
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: EuroMeet-2014 in..."
- Wrote a Review Arlington, Virginia about Arlington VA. / National Cemetery in Washington D.C. Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Washington D.C. Travel Page "The United States Capital - Memorial City!!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Misc. Washington"
- Commented on one of JetlagCity's Washington D.C. travel pages
Photos in Washington D.C.See All Photos (173)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 148 reviews, 319 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 233 photos
- Toronto Intro, 50 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 39 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 79 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 91 reviews, 110 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 69 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 49 reviews, 134 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowknife Intro, 68 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Battle Harbour Intro, 65 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues