"The United States Capital - Memorial City!!" Washington D.C. by jamiesno

Washington D.C. Travel Guide: 5,653 reviews and 15,102 photos

Washington, DC, USA
Quick Synopsis

During a trip to Toronto, Ontario, Canada in February 2007 I decided to use some aeroplan miles to travel to Washington, DC, USA. I went by myself to check the place out and see what it was all about there.

I stayed at the Hostelling International location on 11th street or I should say I slept at the HI. I was walking most of my time there. I estimated over 14 miles that Saturday working to all the monuments.

Thoughts on Washington

It is hard to sum up my thoughts on Washington, DC but I felt the international significance of the city and its power over the rest of the world. After visiting the White House and later that day seeing the President's helicopter you could sense you were in the Capital of the United States.

Beyond it being the "capital" the rest of my thoughts where over somber and make you reflect. Putting the past president monuments to one side there are a lot of war memorials and I felt they had an affect on me. I personally do not agree with war and after seeing war memorial after war memorial and the Arlington Cemetary you get a sense of how many people have died and freedom is indeed not free.

I later went to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and that was very sad and hard to comprehend.

Overall I am very happy I visited Washington besides those two overwhelming thoughts, it was clear the city is also vibrant, diverse, historic, intellectual and has great entertainment areas.

• In a nutshell:Definately a significant place to visit.
  • Last visit to Washington D.C.: Feb 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 29, 2007

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2008 at 10:28 PM

Thanks for your prospective of Washington. Enjoyed your photos and tips. I'm going in June and I keep thinking if it was crowded in February, that it will be much more crowded in June.

• kschatterbox's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 5:56 AM

I want to see the Lincoln Memorial at night. You have captured the pictures very well. Thank you for the early trip :)

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2007 at 9:06 AM

Very nice commentary with some things I have yet to visit (FDR, WW2 Memorials).

• ChristaV's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2007 at 2:11 PM

Nice bit of work you did here. I still have to build my page, but have so lttle time

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2007 at 2:02 PM

You have some very helpful tips here!

• bct341's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Jamie, great shots from the Washington monument.. I have not been up there for a long time...great work. I agree about Arlington Cemetary... very somber place

jamiesno

“Little by little, one travels far. J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973)”

Badges & Stats in Washington D.C.

Have you been to Washington D.C.?