"Madrid, Espana!" Madrid by jamiesno
Madrid Travel Guide: 5,356 reviews and 10,924 photos
I got to Madrid, Spain as a chaperon for a small group of high school students who where on an EF Tour. I am not a teacher, I just simply organized it and they came!
I enjoyed the trip a lot. It was a lot of responsibility travelling with the group and having to make sure everything went as smoothly as possible, everyone was comfortable and interacted fine with the other kids. Despite all that I was still able to really enjoy my trip.
I got to see Madrid at the beginning of the tour and again at the end. The first time around was more tour oriented, the second time around we had free time to explore the place.
The name of Madrid means "abundant, rich in waters." The early inhabitants of Madrid were the prehistoric hunters of the Paleolithic more than two hundred years ago. Thereafter, it was occupied by the Arabs, the Romans, the Bourbon kings and even the French.
It was once said that Madrid could have been named "Ursa," (which originally meant "bear" in Latin) due to the great number of these animals that were found in the surrounding area. The bear continues to be the symbol of the city. Documentations of the city's history show that the founder of Madrid was the Emir Cordova Muhammad Ibn Abd al-Rahman. "Matrice" was the first name of the city which meant "pre-Moslem Madrid."
If there is one thing I will remember about Madrid it is the atmosphere enjoyed while walking along the streets. There were lots of people everywhere and street performers that were very entertaining and made the whole experience that much better!
No La Guerra! While in Spain there were two major protest. Thousands and thousands of people protested the potential war in Iraq while on another day thousands more protested because of the devestating oil spill in the Galacia region of Spain!
There are generally plenty of buskers on the streets as well and I often mistaken for statues until they jumped at me, I quickly learnt from that point onward. Again the buskers at to the overall experience while roaming the streets of Madrid.
After you have enjoyed my Madrid tips and photos please explore the rest of my Spanish adventures!
My General Spain Page
My Toledo Page
My Sevilla Page
My Cordoba Page
My Granada Page
My Andalucia Page
My Ceuta Page
My Fuengirola Page
- Pros:The food, the nightlife and the general atmosphere on the streets!
Inspired by King Alfonso XIII’s desire to build a luxury hotel to rival the Ritz in Paris, the Hotel Ritz in Madrid... more travel advice
Situated in heart of Madrid, where Atocha street meets the Plaza de Jacinto Benavente - at beginning of what all the... more travel advice
jamiesno's Related Pages
Madrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "¡Bienvenido a Madrid!/Welcome to Madrid!"
- "Madrid is where I live"
- "Madrid: My home for 3 fantastic weeks!"
- "Home is where you're always from"
- "WONDERFUL MADRID"
- "As we say in Andalucia, Madri"
- "Hablemos de Madrid (Let's talk about Madrid)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madrid
- Hotels in Madrid
- Transportation in Madrid
- Nightlife in Madrid
- Restaurants in Madrid
- Shopping in Madrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Madrid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madrid
- 41 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Madrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madrid
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 148 reviews, 319 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 233 photos
- Toronto Intro, 50 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 39 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 79 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 91 reviews, 110 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 69 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 49 reviews, 134 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowknife Intro, 68 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Battle Harbour Intro, 65 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues