"Madrid, Espana!" Madrid by jamiesno

Madrid Travel Guide: 5,356 reviews and 10,924 photos

Quick Synopsis

I got to Madrid, Spain as a chaperon for a small group of high school students who where on an EF Tour. I am not a teacher, I just simply organized it and they came!

I enjoyed the trip a lot. It was a lot of responsibility travelling with the group and having to make sure everything went as smoothly as possible, everyone was comfortable and interacted fine with the other kids. Despite all that I was still able to really enjoy my trip.

I got to see Madrid at the beginning of the tour and again at the end. The first time around was more tour oriented, the second time around we had free time to explore the place.

The name of Madrid means "abundant, rich in waters." The early inhabitants of Madrid were the prehistoric hunters of the Paleolithic more than two hundred years ago. Thereafter, it was occupied by the Arabs, the Romans, the Bourbon kings and even the French.

It was once said that Madrid could have been named "Ursa," (which originally meant "bear" in Latin) due to the great number of these animals that were found in the surrounding area. The bear continues to be the symbol of the city. Documentations of the city's history show that the founder of Madrid was the Emir Cordova Muhammad Ibn Abd al-Rahman. "Matrice" was the first name of the city which meant "pre-Moslem Madrid."

Thoughts on Madrid

If there is one thing I will remember about Madrid it is the atmosphere enjoyed while walking along the streets. There were lots of people everywhere and street performers that were very entertaining and made the whole experience that much better!

No La Guerra! While in Spain there were two major protest. Thousands and thousands of people protested the potential war in Iraq while on another day thousands more protested because of the devestating oil spill in the Galacia region of Spain!

There are generally plenty of buskers on the streets as well and I often mistaken for statues until they jumped at me, I quickly learnt from that point onward. Again the buskers at to the overall experience while roaming the streets of Madrid.

After you have enjoyed my Madrid tips and photos please explore the rest of my Spanish adventures!

My General Spain Page

My Toledo Page

My Sevilla Page

My Cordoba Page

My Granada Page

My Andalucia Page

My Ceuta Page

My Fuengirola Page

• Pros:The food, the nightlife and the general atmosphere on the streets!
  • Last visit to Madrid: Feb 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 18, 2004

• Susanpayer's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2009 at 7:26 PM

I DID stay there. In fact, the main reason I stayed there was the location (secondary reason...price). It was a nice, inexpensive, clean and basic hostal. The people there were nice, and the café on the ground floor was great.

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2005 at 6:00 PM

Going to Madrid next weekend! Thanks for all the tipps!

• Azhut's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2005 at 9:29 AM

I like this page, thanks!!!!!!!!

• ezaguryk's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2004 at 1:25 PM

I can see you have a lot of fun!!!!! and visit a lot of places in spain.....i only whent to madrid i need to go back to visit more.........

• KiNyA's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2004 at 3:59 PM

!Viva Espana! Madrid es una de destinaciones que tengo que visitar en el ano que viene :-) !Feliz Navidad!

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2004 at 11:56 AM

Jamie, looks like you had a great time in Spain, it really shows in your photos.

• parsix's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2004 at 9:31 AM

Everyone does meet at El Oso ;oP

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2004 at 8:43 AM

A good summary of Madrid! The smoking summary is very good. The airport had no smoking signs for many years with ashtrays underneath - no one gives a toss!

• Pounder73's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2004 at 12:11 PM

nice work, i need to get back here soon...

• Nov 21, 2004 at 2:42 AM

Madrid is one of my favorite places! Very helpful place, keep up, add more. I like your travelogue pics too

jamiesno

“Little by little, one travels far. J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973)”

Badges & Stats in Madrid