"Returning Home" Krymsk by Porfiris

Krymsk Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 14 photos

An American in Krymsk?

Southern Russia feels like home to this American. It is the birthplace of my father and two Uncles. In particular, Krymsk is where my family lived during WWII, when my father was forcefully taken by the Nazi's to be used as a slave, not to see Krymsk again until 1993. Now I am blessed to visit Krymsk every year, to see my Uncles and all my many cousins and friends. It was very special to see the house where my father was taken from, the corner he shined shoes on and sold hot chestnuts, and to buy bread at the bakery my grandfather worked at. Then I was told that there was a little buzz going around town about an American visitor. Some crossed paths with me and was totally pleased to meet me, the first American they had ever met. I was always invited for a little "food and drink" in celebration. But it was never just a little food and drink. Now I come to Krymsk every year because, afterall, it's home.

A Family Get Together

Family and friends get together frequently to eat, drink and have fun. These occurred in different homes at different times, sometimes two per day, especially on weekends. All kinds of food, all kinds of toasts to make. It is where I bonded the most with my family and new friends. We talked about everything and found it comfortable to talk about anything. Questions about America, questions about Russia, about Russian and American men and women, Lada's (I want one) and how to make Kefir (I make it at home now). Russians know how to keep a circle of family and friends tight knit and close. It seems to be part of the Russian way of life. It's becoming part of me.

Many Heroes in Russia

There are many "Great War" monuments in Russia. Most have been erected in honor of certain major battles and heroes that died for Russia. Afterall, Russia lost over 20 million during the war. There is a "Heroes Hill" in Krymsk. There are also many of these monuments in Novorossijsk, where the Red Army stopped the Germans from advancing east of the "Blue Line". I can honestly say that these monuments are everywhere. The Russians take pride in their success againest the Germans.

• Pros:Happy and beautiful people everywhere.
  • Cons:None so far.
  • In a nutshell:Don't judge Krymsk by how it looks. You must feel Krymsk to really understand.
  • Last visit to Krymsk: Oct 2002
  • Intro Updated Dec 2, 2002

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2009 at 2:35 AM

I would like to visit that part of Russia too...

• ElenaKKKK's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Nice and very positive page))))) Thank you for it)) Poka-poka)))

• zentrinko's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2002 at 2:56 PM

Great intro! looking forward to reading more, always enjoyable to read about another American of Russian descent returning who actually is positive about their stay

Porfiris

“"As water is to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far place."”

Ranked Member