"City of The Mermaid" Copenhagen by Peter_P
Copenhagen Travel Guide: 3,907 reviews and 9,749 photos
Denmark and Copenhagen share a long history of highlights, disasters and courage.
The city was rebuilt several times, after fires, the plague, wars,...
It was Christian IV who lead the city into a new era. Wealth and prosperity along with a lot of hard work. The most of the buildings in the city center are from that time. Copenhagen or 'Kopmannaehafn' was and is still the most important city in northern Europe. A good strategic position, connections to every Scandinavian country, it is by far the economical center up north...
This flag waves on the roof of the Royal Palace, in the middle of the city. The family and the Queen is popular and close to the population. Maybe an example for other royals in Europe :-)
The most photographed object in town !
After a fairy-tale by Hans Christian Andersen, this rather little mermaid was made in 1913 by Edward Eriksen.
Every tourist in Copenhagen is supposed to have a look at this beautiful statue...
More than ones, it was under attack. Vandals tried to damage the mermaid, even the head was cut off once. But she is still alive and kicking :-)
Amalienborg is the residence of the Royal Family. Already in 1689 a small palace was built here, by Sophie Amalia. After a fire, that building was replaced by 4 rococo-castles for 4 wealthy families. After a fire in the Royal Recidence of Christiansborg, the Royal Family decided to move to these 4 castles, opposite to eachother on a central square...
In the middle of the square, you'll find a statue of Frederik V...
- Pros:Nice town, good atmosphere, quiet nightlife,...
- Cons:Expensive in relation to other scandinavian countries
Large building along the docks. Nice view on the harbour and Nyholm and not far from the Mermaid. Have a stop here to... more travel advice
Kind of an english pub interior, with a lot of different beers. Indeed, even some Belgians like Duvel, Orval,... more travel advice
Peter_P's Related Pages
Copenhagen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Windy-ful Copenhagen"
- "COPENHAGEN ON THE CHEAP"
- "Operas and cycling in Copenhagen"
- "THE ROYAL CITY OF COPENHAGEN"
- "Highly Hygge!"
- "Copenhagen city of Absalon"
- "little mermaid’s city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Copenhagen
- Hotels in Copenhagen
- Transportation in Copenhagen
- Nightlife in Copenhagen
- Restaurants in Copenhagen
- Shopping in Copenhagen
- Warnings and Dangers in Copenhagen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Copenhagen
- 7 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Copenhagen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Copenhagen
Top 10 Pages
- Antwerp Intro, 6 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zuidhollandse Biesbosch Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Frankfurt am Main Intro, 7 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kathmandu Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Agra Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos, 4 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos, 4 travelogues
- Jaipur Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mont Saint Michel Intro, 4 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Varanasi Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orchha Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues