"Rome, if you want to (apologies to the B-52's)" Rome by phred1910

Rome Travel Guide: 11,964 reviews and 26,451 photos

Rome, a lifetime is not enough

Truer words haven't been spoken. The amount of history and artifacts in this town are staggering. It's history dates back to 753BC. You could spend days at each one of the sites around the city and still not see everything. I hope my travelogue will help guide you on a quick two day trip of Rome. I am sure that I missed some things - but there is always next time.

Food

One of my favorite hobbies is eating - and trust me when I say you won't go hungry in Rome. My advice is to find a quieter section of town and then wander down the back alleys until you find a more local restaurant of the type that I describe. The food seems to taste better the less of your native tongue you hear.

People

The passion, the joi de vie, the laid back attitude.......the inability to speak without using hands (a problem I share).....I could spend hours observing the locals in their element.

• Pros:History, food, people
  • Cons:Too many tourists, crazy drivers, heat
  • In a nutshell:Staggering
  • Last visit to Rome: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 9, 2003

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2006 at 2:35 AM

Largo di Torre Argentina. This should be the name of the "cat snctuary" in Rome. Ciao!

• Jun 30, 2004 at 4:18 PM

Your comments about pickpockets were really funny. Thanks for telling another side of the story.

• chicabonita's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2003 at 1:28 PM

the wine bar would be the place for me to go :-))

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2003 at 11:54 PM

Last time I was here for 2 days. Slept thru a Sat night dressed in my party clothes. Went to mass at Santo Pietro & had money to burn but nowhere to spend on Sunday. So true about pickpockets. Had Drunken Master moves ready but didn't need em. Great page!

• sbenedec's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2003 at 10:50 PM

This is a classic meeting place. I have often said, "meet me at the obelisk at such-and-such time". Great that you put this on a tip by itself. It deserves it! Great Rome info, BTW!

• Jul 10, 2003 at 4:53 AM

Excellant page...Pages filled with really nice phtographs...wealth of information with lot of nice tips to a tourist..Superb presentation

• syllybabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2003 at 5:31 AM

There's no place like Rome!

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2003 at 5:21 AM

Rome is an amazing place, love it

phred1910

“What would you do if you knew you wouldn't fail”

Badges & Stats in Rome