""Born Free" and "Out of Africa"" Kenya by samitbabu

Kenya Travel Guide: 4,310 reviews and 11,749 photos

Samitbabu's Kenya Page

Kenya would always bring up romantic and exquisite feelings of adventure and thrill whenever I used to think about it. I guess this was a result of my interactions with books and movies that created a lasting impression on me. I would especially like to point out two wonderful artistic creations in the name of "Born Free" - A book by Joy Adamson and "Out of Africa" by Karen Blixen.

Joy Adamson was a well acclaimed painter when she moved to Kenya in early 1940s and married George who was a forest ranger. Their life and the three lion cubs they rescued later became world famous with Joy publishing her memoirs in the form of "BORN FREE". It is one of the finest examples of Worldlife Conservation and Elsa, the lioness became a household name soon with the release of the movie with the same name. She followed it afterwards with Living free and lastly after the death of george Admason with 'Forever Free".

If the initial recognition of Kenya came in the form of 'Born Free', I guess the romantic angle was added to it by Karen Blixe,n when she penned down her life and her experiences in'Out of Africa" somewhere in the late 1930s. The movie by Sydney Pollack released in the '80s bagged a few oscars and, Meryl Streep and Robert Redford made the story immortal.

Masai Mara Game reserve conjures in the mind scenes of animals wading across the Mara river, the crocodiles awaiting for their chance to swing into action and the red-clothed Masais with the lone spear twalking through the Savannahs. It created vivid images in my mind, and kept the urge of travelling to this distant country alive for years.

It was ultimately this month, November of 2011, that I could ultimately arrange to travel to Kenya with my wife and my 9 year old daughter who has also become attracted to this country through by vivid programmes on NatGeo, BBC, Animal Planet and Discovery Channel. The Masai Mara forest reserve has become very well known to her too.

Just for over 5 days of a tour, I covered Nairobi , was at Masai Mara for 2 and half days and was at Naivasha for 1 and half Days.

At Masai Mara I had the best of experiences and have created a page on it . Please read :

At Naivasha, I stayed at Elsamere cottage- the home of Joy Adamson which has now become a Museum, conservatory, and also a tourist cottage for people like us Complete with all possible necesitues and adjojning the Lake with a wonderful forest walk.

I would be adding more details , reviews and suggestions slowly on these spots.

ALSO I AM WORKING ON A PROGRAM CALLED "BACK TO THE BASICS- LIVE LIKE THE MASAIS" . This is a n experience of living with the Masais in their village and is one of its kind. Please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks and all the best,

• Last visit to Kenya: Nov 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

“Travelling keeps the Soul Happy !!!”

Badges & Stats in Kenya