"Bits and Pieces : Life as it comes" samitbabu's Profile
I am an Indian, and originate from Kolkata. Kolkata ( Calcutta), is the capital of the state of West Bengal in India, which is famous for Royal Bengal tigers, Darjeeling Tea, and the Sunderbans.Bengal or West Bengal apart from Rabindranath Tagore, Swami Vivekananda, Mother Teresa, Amartya Sen , Satyajit Ray and recently, Sourav Ganguly.
Travelling always hooked me with the joy of seeing new places and meeting new people, knowing new customs and understanding their culture. I love the mountains especially the Himalayas. I have trekked or trudged to most towns of the Garhwal Himalayas, and to me they represent one of the most beautiful regions I have seen. They attract me for the sheer beauty, magnitude, mystique and its spirituality.
My first trek was from Gangotri in to Gaumukh 1994 and till date, I have never seen mountains so beautiful in the whole world other than the Himalayas. An Article that I did pen down about Tunganath, one of the five Kedars in the Garhwal Himalayas, 8 years back, can be found here :
After working for around 10 years at Kolkata and a couple of other cities in India, I have moved over to the gulf for the last few years. . In the course of my work I have travelled to a few countries. They are listed in my Travel Map.
My travels to other coutries have mostly been work-project related , of which Sydney remains my favourite. I have lived in this city for about 10 months during 2004 - 2005 and is forever smitten by this beauty.
Presently I reside in Dubai, UAE with my family.
Dubai or UAE doesnt offer much variety of as far as Nature is concerned. It is mostly a desert stretched across its seven states with the Persian Gulf - bordering it on one side. The horizon looks golden yellow in the form of sand dunes and rocky mountain in its eastern fringes; while vegetation is mostly arid , though artificial forestation / plantation has made Dubai and Abu Dhabi look Green in most city areas. The Al Ain area of Abu Dhabi boats of natural greenery in the form of an Oasis.
A short visitor to Dubai should include in his itinerary among others a Dhow Cruise Dinner and a Desert Safari trip which includes a belly dance.
People with longer schedules can include a trip to Musundham (Oman border) and Khorfakkan a port in Sharjah.
The rest are glam and glitter in the form of hotels, shopping Malls, Stadiums, Artificial Marina ,and the best Skyline probably of the whole world including the Burj Al Arab and the Burj Khalifa.
Thanks for reading , and my best wishes to everyone here,
Recently underwent a road trip across California - Arizona and Utah .
This was Fun and we covered San Francisco - Yosemite - Los Angeles Hollywood - Las vegas - Jacob Lake - North Grand Canyon North Rim - Antelope Canyon - Grand Canyon South Rim - Meteor Crater Arizona and then Landed at Phoenix.
Fantastic , a little on the Fast pace but still enjoyed it to the hilt !!!
I watch movies from all over the world , listen to music from all the three languages i know and I love photography
These three are my passion.
My most recent trip is to Kenya. This november of 2011 and it has been fantastic .
Last year , in 2010, I had travlled to greece and my Pages are here at VT.
A few of my earlier travels have also been noted .
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 81 Reviews
- 311 Photos
- 8 Countries
- 22 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- created a Phoenix Travel Page "Ghost Town"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ghost Town"
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: Getting from SFO Airport to..."
- Commented on lynnehamman's profile page
- Wrote a Review Nakhl Fort in Muscat Things to Do
updated their Profile Page "Bits and Pieces : Life as it comes"
- samitbabu and Puma_Azul are now friends.
Top 10 Pages
- Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 20 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lake Naivasha Intro, 8 reviews, 38 photos
- Athens Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paros Island Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Paros Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Kenya Intro, 2 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santorini Island Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Delphi Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubai Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54962 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23315 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- Philadelphia Hotels
- 2093 Reviews - 4054 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos