"Bits and Pieces : Life as it comes" samitbabu's Profile

Background and Roots

I am an Indian, and originate from Kolkata. Kolkata ( Calcutta), is the capital of the state of West Bengal in India, which is famous for Royal Bengal tigers, Darjeeling Tea, and the Sunderbans.Bengal or West Bengal apart from Rabindranath Tagore, Swami Vivekananda, Mother Teresa, Amartya Sen , Satyajit Ray and recently, Sourav Ganguly.

Travelling always hooked me with the joy of seeing new places and meeting new people, knowing new customs and understanding their culture. I love the mountains especially the Himalayas. I have trekked or trudged to most towns of the Garhwal Himalayas, and to me they represent one of the most beautiful regions I have seen. They attract me for the sheer beauty, magnitude, mystique and its spirituality.

My first trek was from Gangotri in to Gaumukh 1994 and till date, I have never seen mountains so beautiful in the whole world other than the Himalayas. An Article that I did pen down about Tunganath, one of the five Kedars in the Garhwal Himalayas, 8 years back, can be found here :

Later Anecdotes

After working for around 10 years at Kolkata and a couple of other cities in India, I have moved over to the gulf for the last few years. . In the course of my work I have travelled to a few countries. They are listed in my Travel Map.

My travels to other coutries have mostly been work-project related , of which Sydney remains my favourite. I have lived in this city for about 10 months during 2004 - 2005 and is forever smitten by this beauty.

Presently I reside in Dubai, UAE with my family.

Now an Expat at Dubai, UAE

Dubai or UAE doesnt offer much variety of as far as Nature is concerned. It is mostly a desert stretched across its seven states with the Persian Gulf - bordering it on one side. The horizon looks golden yellow in the form of sand dunes and rocky mountain in its eastern fringes; while vegetation is mostly arid , though artificial forestation / plantation has made Dubai and Abu Dhabi look Green in most city areas. The Al Ain area of Abu Dhabi boats of natural greenery in the form of an Oasis.

A short visitor to Dubai should include in his itinerary among others a Dhow Cruise Dinner and a Desert Safari trip which includes a belly dance.
People with longer schedules can include a trip to Musundham (Oman border) and Khorfakkan a port in Sharjah.

The rest are glam and glitter in the form of hotels, shopping Malls, Stadiums, Artificial Marina ,and the best Skyline probably of the whole world including the Burj Al Arab and the Burj Khalifa.

Thanks for reading , and my best wishes to everyone here,

Samit Bhattacharya
June 2011

USA Trip : July 2013

Recently underwent a road trip across California - Arizona and Utah .
This was Fun and we covered San Francisco - Yosemite - Los Angeles Hollywood - Las vegas - Jacob Lake - North Grand Canyon North Rim - Antelope Canyon - Grand Canyon South Rim - Meteor Crater Arizona and then Landed at Phoenix.
Fantastic , a little on the Fast pace but still enjoyed it to the hilt !!!

Music , Movies and Photography

I watch movies from all over the world , listen to music from all the three languages i know and I love photography

These three are my passion.

My Travel Pages

My most recent trip is to Kenya. This november of 2011 and it has been fantastic .
Last year , in 2010, I had travlled to greece and my Pages are here at VT.
A few of my earlier travels have also been noted .

• Intro Updated Oct 20, 2013

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:35 AM

Happy Birthday!

• samitbabu's Profile Photo
      Oct 28, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Thanks Gautamda ...Hope all is fine at Kolkata .. Pujo kemon katalen ebar ?? Subho Bijoya :)

Oct 29, 2013 at 4:22 AM

Subho Bijoya brother! Mota muti katlo, but it rained heavily on Astami and Navami. Dashmi we went to Gujarat for 8/9 days. Dubai e amar bon thake. Ora o pujo kore.

• Puma_Azul's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Happy b-day Samit, wish u the best now and ever !! Hugs from México... !

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2013 at 6:53 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAMIT! Hope you have a grand celebration!

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2013 at 5:55 AM

Namaste Samit. I wish you the very best Birthday ever my friend. Make it a good one.......d:o)

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Greeting again, happy birthday and all the best to you.

• Puma_Azul's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Samit, i just saw ur Masai Mara wonderful pics, it must be awsome to look at the animals that close living in their habitat, i would love to make a trip like this someday (i love animals ) !

• rudysmom626's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Hey Samit!

Just wanted to let you know we featured one of your awesome photos from the Masai Mara Game Reserve on our VT Facebook page today! You can check it out here: facebook.com/VirtualTourist?...

Keep up the awesome photos and tips!
    Blake aka Rudysmom626

• samitbabu's Profile Photo
      Apr 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Thanks Blake .. that's very nice ...u have motivated me again ..

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Happy Birthday Samit! But where are you?

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAMIT! Hope you have a wonderful celebration!

• Ntomnif's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2012 at 4:43 AM

Best wishes on your birthday Samit and warm greetings from Cameroon. May all your travel dreams come to fruition

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
samitbabu's Profile Photo

samitbabu

“Travelling keeps the Soul Happy !!!”

Real Name