"Whittier - Secret City...But not much to do" Whittier by Scandic
Whittier Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 71 photos
The best part of Whittier is driving to there. The highway from Anchorage to South is amazing, probably one of the most beautiful roads in the world... The same road takes you to Homer, Kenai and Seward too.
Along the way to Whittier, you'll see glaciers, so beautiful with their turqoise color.
Whittier itself. I have to be honest and say that it is ugly and boring town or vilage perhaps. Location is beautiful and you can reach this secret historical place only by tunnel. But because of its strategic background, the architecture is awful, so ugly. Most of the residents used to live in a one big apartment complex, which reminds me of communism archtiecture.
There are some attaractions like Outdoor Adventure company and some restaurants along the main road, but this town is not designed to amuse tourist, which is sad. Some big cruise ships stop here and what a shame, that there is nothing this town can offer, expect the mountains.
- Pros:A great road trip from Anchorage
- Cons:Very boring place
- In a nutshell:Honestly, not worth of visiting. Just getting there by tunnel (which is the only way) costs 12 $.
Some of the Alaskan cruisings makes a port of call in Whittier. These enormous ships bring bunch of tourists (up to... more travel advice
Scandic's Related Pages
Whittier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Town that isn't so creepy anymore!"
- "Whittier - Secret City...But not much to do"
- "A bit spoiled by the concrete"
- "The Barrack City"
- "Glacier Cruise to the Prince William Sound"
- "Whittier, Alaska"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Whittier
- Hotels in Whittier
- Transportation in Whittier
- Nightlife in Whittier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Whittier
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Whittier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Whittier
Top 10 Pages
- Alaska Intro, 47 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Helsinki Intro, 50 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 40 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anchorage Intro, 31 reviews, 27 photos
- Finland Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 22 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Huntington Beach Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fairbanks Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Porvoo Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Cordova Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos