"Studying @ UAF - University of Alaska Fairbanks" Top 5 Page for this destination Fairbanks by Scandic

Fairbanks Travel Guide: 316 reviews and 503 photos

This is where I was

It is always good to move to change the point of view. I knew that I wanted to spend one year as an exchange student abroad, but it was pretty hard to choose the place. Finally I choosed Alaska, University of Alaska Fairbanks. Man, it was a good decision! Despite many sceptic opinions that I heard from people around me, I'm so glad that I choosed what I wanted to.
Of course it iwas much more expensive to study there than in Europe, but I met so wonderful people and waking up early in the morning...opening the curtains and seeing Mt McKinley...that was REALLY something. Plus the summer it was unforgetable.

Campus life

I was studying and living at the same place, campus. That area is pretty interesting and style of studyind varies lot of Europe. Located near mountains and forrest, you might see wild animals just behind the corner. Even this is not so different than Finland is, I like the feeling of wilderness. Air is quite dry there in Fairbanks, it is not winding at all. So the 'cold' doesn't feel that cold. Or everything is how you tolerate it...I had some -55F days there...but it wasn't that bad as it is sometimes in Finladn because of sea breeze.

About the Fairbanks

May is say, the downtown of Fairbanks is ugly. Ok, it is even uglier than I expected..
But the nature beats it and I don't have to visit there so often anyway.

Another amazing thing in Fairbansk are people. Thos truly friendly creatures which make you feel so wellcomed and home. I miss the people there so much. I don't know would I have ever survive the coldest days without those people. Everywhere I went, I met just friendly Fairbanksans. They say it is because of the harsh nature conditions, which makes people help each and other.

I miss You All!!!!!

• Pros:Extremely friendly people
  • Cons:Architecture
  • In a nutshell:It is Alaska
  • Last visit to Fairbanks: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 20, 2007

• Nov 7, 2008 at 3:34 PM

I have to disagree about moose not being a danger. They are wild animals and should be given their space, especially mothers with their calves. Moose can, and have, killed people by trampling them.

• johncudw's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2008 at 2:43 AM

nice photos and tips - was the Denali taken with a long lens from far away? greetings from John and Gail in NJ

• Jul 2, 2007 at 9:17 PM

AGREE. Tourist trap nicest 2 say. Just There 06-07. Big Gimmick-kids & Santa $5.00 photo.1 kid per photo. Owner yells 4 clerks 2 push people 2 buy or get them out. China Ornaments $49.99 ea sells $3.99 ea WalMart. Not worth unless 2 go 2 bathroom.

• May 16, 2005 at 8:11 AM

excellent page... fairbanks might be my starting point for me trip ;-)

• Technokiltie's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2004 at 1:37 AM

Thank you so much for posting a page on UAF! I'm planning to study there, and any info other than the UAF site is non-existent. THANK YOU!!!

• sue&gene's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2004 at 6:38 PM

Sounds nice.

• gregoryr1m's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2004 at 7:55 PM

Great tips on Fairbanks. Enjoyed seeing the pics.

• 78Eva's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2004 at 7:46 AM

Hi there, this is a really great page! I would love to know all about the university! Where are you from originally?

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2004 at 4:40 AM

Hi Niina. Just discovered this place. Thankyou for the great tips. Love the moose pic. Cheers Ann :o)

• picklegirl's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2004 at 7:26 AM

Nice page, Niina! Seeing moose while jogging; what an experience that must be!! I'll be here next month..can't wait!! :-)

Scandic

“A chance meeting with a stranger may change your life.”

Badges & Stats in Fairbanks

Have you been to Fairbanks?