"Cordova - One of the hidden treasures of Alaska" Cordova by Scandic
Cordova Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 43 photos
Cordova is one of those well hidden treasures that Alaska has. Located in Prince William Sound and close to Kenai Peninsula, next to Mt Eyak , nestled between the lake and the ocean as well as Copper River Delta it certainly has a spectacular whoa factor. So precious as it is, the only way to reach it is by boat or plain.
This small, amazingly beautiful and friendly community is isolated, but stil it is lively. There are no cruise ship port of calls, either frequent group tours. If a visitor comes there, there is a reason for that. Usually the good news goes from a person to another and so I heard about this great place.
My dear friend Paul was the person to told me about Cordova. About the beuaty of it and the great people around. So at one weekend in August, we took Alaska Airline flight from Anchorage to Cordova where we stayed at the local family. That trip was a blast. Corodova is such a wonderful place, where you can truly enjoy the nature of Alaska. The trails, the glaciers, the creeks and the rivers, the ocean, the mountains and the lake itself. The town is full of small shops, there are one pharmacy, two grocery stores, bookstore, post and swim hall. Even an own ski hill! The people in Cordova seem to love their town so much and no wonder. Who ever ends up there, hardly leaves.
During my stay in Corodva there were definitely some things that I recall and that I'd love to suggest for people who visit there:
-Breakfast at Killer Whale Cafe (chekc out their book selection too)
-Hike to the Child's Glacier
-Swim in a Crater Lake (gotta hike up to the mountains first, then take a skinny dip to the mouintain lake;) )
-Enjoy fish tacos at Baja Taco
-Visit at the Prince William Sound Science Center¨
-Laying on the bed of mountain flowers
-Playing in the snow in my shorts
-Enjoy the smell of fresh fish at the Cordova Small Harbor
- Pros:Spectacular, friendly, so many things to do, difficult to reach:)
- Cons:Expensive, difficult to reach
- In a nutshell:Wow
Very nice and cozy library along the main street. They do also send some little crafts there. Good stop for the bath... more travel advice
I'm not sure how this science center works, are they like able to host visitors anytime, or do you need to book time in... more travel advice
Scandic's Related Pages
Cordova Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cordova - One of the hidden treasures of Alaska"
- "Cordova, Alaska"
- "melody129's new Cordova Page"
- "Cordova, Alaska"
- "Benster's Cordova Page"
- "LizSitka's new Cordova Page"
- "Quaint Cordova"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cordova
- Hotels in Cordova
- Transportation in Cordova
- Restaurants in Cordova
- Shopping in Cordova
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cordova
- 16 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Cordova?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cordova
Top 10 Pages
- Alaska Intro, 47 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Helsinki Intro, 50 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 40 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anchorage Intro, 31 reviews, 27 photos
- Finland Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 22 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Huntington Beach Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fairbanks Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Porvoo Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Cordova Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos