"Finland, it is quite fine land, may I say" Finland by Scandic

Finland Travel Guide: 9,556 reviews and 21,739 photos

Sauna, Sibelius, Nokia - that is my home country

Since being abroad, my Finnish identify has increased a lot. After all I come from quite unique place, althought sometimes I wish my ancestors would have picked up a country slightly warmer than this ;)

I have noticed that there are lots of good vibrations about Finland and I'm of course very flattered about that. I don't mind if somebody calls me Swedish or Norwegian, it is true that Scandinavia is a very homogenic area, but Finland is Finland. It is a country with long history under Swedish or Russian rule. It is a country with an unique languages. It is a country of Santa Claus, Midnight Sun, lakes, reindeers, shy people, blond people, blue-eyed people and people with cellphones and saunas everywhere.

5-minutes Finnish course for you by Scandic:

It is cold in here - Onpa kylmä
Can I borrow your cell phone - Voinko lainata kännykkääsi
Cell phone - Kännykkä

Blue

No matter what, blue is the main color of Finland. It can describe our lakes, sky, feelings, winter mornings, politic color or eyes. It is just so Finnish color. You could think that because of lack of sunshine in the winter, people would like to cheer up the daily life with brighter colors, but not in Finland. People dress very earth like.You noticed that easily while walking in the streets of Finland or visiting in the homes. White and blue, that is very Finnish.

What is a typical dream for a Finnish? Having a house near water, having a peaceful night there in the summer, listening to nothing else than birds after sauna and swim in the lake.

About Finnish mood. Of course the are some very typical and generalized things, but those charasteric things that I have notice are quite common in us. Finnish doesn't say 'I love you' if they don't really mean it. We don't end up phone calls like 'I love you'. That doesn't mean that people don't love, it just the sentence you say when you REALLY need it.
Other thing is hugging. Finnish men don't hug each other, ok maybe in drunk, but not very often. And not even women do that much, maybe younger girls, but how often I do hug people? Not very often actually. Only my beau. Not that I don't like it, but it is just not in our culture.

Finnish tend to be very shy and little hard to make a friend. But once you get a Finn for a friend, it will last lifetime. And remember, if somebody invites you to home party or any other celebration: it means 'i like you and i really appreciate your friendship'.

That is how Finnish life goes.

Nature

Where ever you go in Finland, no matter is it a city or little village, people have something in common. Love of nature, especially love in forrests. I have never met a Finnish who wouldn't like nature(nor drinking;) ). Nature means home for Finnish, that is why you find parks in Helsinki and there is even National Park just 20 minutes away from Helsinki (Nuuksio, Espoo).

• Pros:Clean, peaceful, safe and friendly
  • Cons:Expensive
  • Intro Updated Feb 7, 2006

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Hello, Niina! Thanks for your deep insight into your beautiful country! Suomi for ever!

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2006 at 5:30 PM

it's beautiful! can't wait to visit, see the blue and white lakes and drink kahvi ;-)

• plannersis's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2005 at 5:43 AM

Your info and tips and pictures are very helpful and informative; your English is very good and it shows that you are a caring person!

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2005 at 5:48 AM

Breathtaking sceenery, Finland surely has the WOW factor.

• morninglory's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2004 at 1:31 AM

I love your page! Ihana! well i guess what i'm trying to say have been said by you.Lots of fun reading them!

• Yubert's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2004 at 6:35 PM

Finland looks beautiful, just like you. I hope to visit Finland soon!

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2004 at 5:17 PM

Looks just like home. Lakes. Ice Fishing. Snow. Ice. No wonder we have lots of people in Minnesota with Finnish heritage.

• tatyanap's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2003 at 5:21 PM

Very interesting!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2003 at 2:42 PM

Wonderful :))) I hope all is fine for you, Finland is surely missing you.

Scandic

“A chance meeting with a stranger may change your life.”

Badges & Stats in Finland

Have you been to Finland?

Latest Activity in Finland