"Porvoo, where my mind lives" Porvoo by Scandic
Porvoo Travel Guide: 232 reviews and 487 photos
Porvoo is my mental home when I'm abroad. It is the place that I miss most and I really think that in future it is place where I want to live. Propably with my dogs and family...if I had it. Porvoo is near Helsinki, it takes just 45 minutes to drive. But it is still not a town, rather a small village with wonderful nature from sea to forrest.
My father was born in Porvoo and still my parents have a cottage there. Porvoo is one of the best cities in Finland and also the tourists has noticed this little old town., which is located 50 kilometers from Helsinki to east. Between Helsinki and Porvoo there is a wonderful town called Sipoo.
I used to bike every summer at least once from Helsinki to Porvoo and in the evening I bike back. Usually my feet start to protest, but it is a nice trip anyway.
The Porvoo river got its name in the 14th century from the ground fortress built on Linnamäki, and it later became the name of the town as well. The name comes from the Swedish word Borgå (borg = castle, å = river). The fortress no longer exists; only entrenchments recall those times.
Porvoo is supposed to have been founded in 1346, but the exact year of foundation is not known with certainty. It is known, though, that Porvoo is Finland's second oldest town.
The town has a surface area of 1 768 square kilometres, of which 654 is land and 1114 water. The town's population is over 44 000, of whom 64 per cent are Finnish-speaking, 34 per cent Swedish-speaking and about two per cent others.
Most of the tourists head right to the Old Town, and I won't blame them. With its pittoresque cute old colofrul wooden houses, wonderful church up on the hill and great unique boutiques, it is definitely a plce to explore. But when having some extra time, I would suggest to look for other part os the city: like great library, Linnanmäki hill , cemetary, a path along the river to the sea and the newer parts of the town, which are located East from the bus station.
- Pros:When ever you go, this city has something to offer
- Cons:I can't say anything... :) Ok, maybe Weather sometimes like everywhere in Finland
- In a nutshell:If you travel to Helsinki, Porvoo is MUST =)
Love sea and islands? Think that wind is something you like? Don't like to be crowded places and prefer nature and... more travel advice
This wonderful lighthouse, called Söderskär, in front of Porvoo is getting worse condition because no one seems to be... more travel advice
- By bus, car or even train or boat (in...
- Small but intimate bar in Old Town
- See All Beautiful Porvoo women, like Janina...
- See All Postimäki
Scandic's Related Pages
Porvoo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Porvoo - Borgå"
- "Porvoo - Captivating charm of Finland"
- "Charming town by the sea"
- "Porvoo ~ On the King's Road"
- "Porvoo (in Swedish Borgå)"
- "Porvoo, where my mind lives"
- "A Lovely Quaint Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Porvoo
- Hotels in Porvoo
- Transportation in Porvoo
- Nightlife in Porvoo
- Restaurants in Porvoo
- Shopping in Porvoo
- Warnings and Dangers in Porvoo
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Porvoo
- 19 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Porvoo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porvoo
Top 10 Pages
- Alaska Intro, 47 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Helsinki Intro, 50 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 40 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anchorage Intro, 31 reviews, 27 photos
- Finland Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 22 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Huntington Beach Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fairbanks Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Porvoo Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Cordova Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos