"Helsinki, this is where I come from" Helsinki by Scandic
Helsinki Travel Guide: 3,683 reviews and 7,465 photos
I was born in Helsinki, the capital of Finland. I have lived there over twenty years and it's a great beautiful city with wonderful nature and sea. Since last five years Helsinki has changed a lot. In my opinion European Union has had the biggest influence. Now Helsinki is very international with thousands of tourists. Also many famous magazines like Elle and Vogue have written about Helsinki and they have called that very trendy. I think so to, of course=)
What I most like about Helsinki is the sea. All my favourite spots are located near sea and it really gives some special to Helsinki downtown.
I want to tell you many tips under there, so you can check my must-to-lists and places that are worth of visiting. There's something unique that you don't usually feel in capitals. Helsinki is a capital but not a metropol. Someway it's small, but there's all you need. It's big enough to be a colorful place with international atmosphere. Thanks for the visitors.
Being a gateway between East and West, Helsinki is an unique mix of different cultures. There are many orthodoxic buildnings with onion torns as well as many Middle European style buildnings. Some might say that helsinki is a mix from Stockholm and St Petersburg.
It's easy to travel around Helsinki. Public transportation is very good and cheap, and they have designed many tours to tourists. One ticket is valid on busses, trams, metros, Suomenlinna ferries and local trains in Helsinki.
Metro-network is quite poor if you compare to any other capitals, but at least it's quite clean and safe;)
If you want to travel to the East, metro is the best way to do that.
- Pros:Nearly everybody speak English fluently and Helsinki is still very safe city
- Cons:Beware, in the winter time, there can be even -30 celcius, I really mean MINUS
- In a nutshell:If you want to experience the city between East and West, helsinki is the place to be.
I used to work right around the corner from this and have a lunch here. It was like 7 years ago and the place is still... more travel advice
Oh, this gal loves sushi. I was happy to come back to Finland and find out that there are bunch of new japanese... more travel advice
- See All An excellent Travel Agency and I am just...
- See All Over the Roofs
- See All My favourite summer club
- See All My favourite gym
- See All Churchies in your mind?
- See All Very wonderful movie 'theater'
- See All Bookstore for all book lovers (included...
- See All Urho Kekkonen's museum, Tamminiemi
- See All Heureka- Finnish Science Centre
- See All If you want some quality...(and you are...
- Crazy swimmers
Been to Helsinki?Share your travels with the world!
Scandic's Related Pages
Helsinki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Home"
- "19/1 Just returned from Helsinki"
- "Where Slavic charm & Nordic simplicity meet"
- "Helsinki at your service"
- "Helsinki, this is where I come from"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helsinki
- Hotels in Helsinki
- Transportation in Helsinki
- Nightlife in Helsinki
- Restaurants in Helsinki
- Shopping in Helsinki
- Warnings and Dangers in Helsinki
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helsinki
- 50 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 42 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Helsinki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helsinki
- Uploaded a Photo to "New Year's VT meeting in Helsinki"
- updated a Helsinki Travel Page "Helsinki, this is where I come from"
- Commented on one of sihi's Helsinki travel pages
- Posted in Travel Anchorage Forum "RE: RE: Living In Anchorage"
- Wrote a Review Indian food in deep downtown in Helsinki Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Alaska Intro, 47 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Helsinki Intro, 50 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 40 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anchorage Intro, 31 reviews, 27 photos
- Finland Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 22 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Huntington Beach Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fairbanks Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Porvoo Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Cordova Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
Latest Helsinki hotel reviews
- Hotel Kamp
- 475 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- City Apartments
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Sokos Hotel Klaus Kurki
- 338 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Omena Hotel
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Hilton Helsinki Strand
- 391 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Hostel Mekka
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2009
- Martta Hotelli
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2008
- Lonnrot Hostel & Cafe
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
- Sokos Hotel Torni
- 188 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Sokos Hotel Vaakuna
- 162 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Scandic Grand Marina
- 346 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Helsinki
- 498 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Cumulus Olympia
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Haaga
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013