"My new pages of Oulu" Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu by Scandic

Oulu Travel Guide: 214 reviews and 387 photos

Not so North after all

I was born and raised in Helsinki. Why I ended up here is a long story, but well, let's put it short. Girl meet s a boy. Girl likes a boy. Boy is from North. Girl moves to North. So I moved to Oulu, which is located rather in the middle of Finland than 'in North' like most people think. For shure it is North when looking from the capital area, where the major population lives and where the biggest towns are. But Finland is a long country. It would be unfair to call Oulu North Finland, even it is called, even in officially papers, 'the economic capital of North Finland'. Oulu is located at the bottom of the Baltic Sea and it is still some 200 kilometers to Arctic Circle from here. Well, I guess when looking from outside of Scandinavia, it doesn't sound that much at all. And ok, I agree, only 8 kilometers out of Oulu and the reindeer herding area starts. It is a huge, the reindeer husbandry area covers around 114,000 square kilometres, around one third of the entire area of Finland.

I have learned to like this town

So I ended up here. I have lived here since Fall 2001 and slowly but steadyly I start to like this town and think it as my 'home'. When I am away, like visiting my parents in Helsinki, which is only one-hour flight from here, I don't feel homy there. I miss my home, because my home is here. I surely dunno what I am going to do after my graduation here, do I need to move back to Helsinki because of work or can I stay? I wish I could. My life is here, my friends are here. Even this city lacks many things, lively culture, bigger city centre, variety of nigh clubs,more open-minded thinking etc...there is lots of things to be liked. Oulu has the second largest University in Finland as well as the second liveliest airport, plus growing hightech field, it certainly has an international influence and lots of lots of students.

My Things Here

I have wondered many times, how come I started to enjoy living here. The main reason are people, my friends that I found from here. The town itself has not so much to offer, what I already listed above, but I can easily name some things I like here. It has been a change to live in city of this size
(128.000 inh.), but certainly an experience.

-Wind from the sea and along the river. It is chilly, sometimes even freezing, but so fresh that it feels good.
I can honestly say, after living an year in Alaska, that -20c in Oulu is easily convertible to -45c in other places. Because of this wind, which I most of the time adore.

-Great biking paths. Oulu is the city on the bike. Once you come here, you will notice it. People on the bikes everywhere, bikes waiting for their owner everywhere. EVERYBODY bikes, around the year. To the bar and back home in the middle of the night, with good warm jacket, when it is -20 outside. Attention, remember to lock your bike!

-Summer. Summer here is hard to beat, the sun shining almost 24/7 and giving extra energy for everyone. People starts to live happily and act more friendly. All kinds of things are happening all the time from concerts to theme nights. You cannot believe it is the same town at all. Garlic night is blast, it usually arranges around mid-July.

-Northern lights. The northern you'll go, the more likely you'll see them. But Oulu is a good spot for some reason. Just head out of the city lights and look at the clear sky. One of my best memories of this town was one August, when I was walking home after a good night out. It was still warm, but darker already. I was crossing through the park and for some reason I looked at the sky. And there they were, those gorgeous green shiny dancing lights.

-Safety. This is a safe town, let me tell you that. Of course no matter where you are, it is always good to use your brains, but Oulu is very safe for people, unfortunately not for bikes. But as a young girl, I have never felt unsafe anywhere here, no matter where I have been. In general people are friendly, especially for tourist, so feel free to ask help if you need or advices or anything at all.

• Pros:All you need is here, if it is not, there is an airport
  • Cons:Everything comes a bit slower here
  • In a nutshell:I like, but I won't stay rest of my life
  • Intro Updated Feb 2, 2005

• Dec 16, 2008 at 5:54 AM

Food in this restaurant is below standard. Most dishes taste the same. By the way, owner's are not Indians. I would rather recommend Indian Cuisine for real good Indian food. The service is professional and atmosphere is cosy.

• Elena77's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Very interesting page! I'm planning to visit Oulu in August 2008 and found your tips very helpful. Thanks for sharing them! :) Elena

• Sputnikboy's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Great page for a special city! I have only good memories of Oulu, wish I will come back one day...

• luke82's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2006 at 9:01 PM

Very beautiful page! Like you I was dragged out to Oulu by someone special ... I loved every minute I have spent in this town. It is too bad I am an ocean away.... cheers from Canada!

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2005 at 12:33 AM

Hi Niina, your Oulu pages certainly brought back some memories. I played there a few years ago and loved it. Stayed in the Sokos Hotel which was nice, too. Great pages. fergy.

• Docu2001's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2005 at 12:21 PM

Beautiful pages - and garlic Festival! I LOVE garlic. Peace, Richard

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2005 at 10:34 AM

Meeting in Oulu? no problems, will be here on July 25th. Can you arrange a meeting point for a beer and also a place for a good dinner? (I am sure I will be hungry after spending few days in Norge och Severige :-)

• Siddha3th's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2005 at 2:09 AM

Lovely pages here, Niina. And I love your travel motto as well :) Take care of yourself... Siddharth

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2004 at 3:53 PM

Hi Niina I rated a few of your tips here on Oulu, you live in a nice city. It looks great, they say Finland is a lot like Labrador! Cheers from over here :-)

• flyingkiwi's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2004 at 4:44 PM

This page looks good. I passed through Oulu several years ago on the way to Haparaanta without realising how much it had to offer. I'll come back some day. :)

Scandic

“A chance meeting with a stranger may change your life.”

Badges & Stats in Oulu