"Haparanda - Tornio, unique EU co-operation" Haparanda by Scandic
Haparanda Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 12 photos
Haparanda is not very special city, there's not much to see. Nature is beautiful but that's it. But what makes Haparanda so special is it's location. Two cities juts next to each other, Finnish Tornio and Swedish Haparanda has unique co-operation, which is known and appriciated in European Parlament.
There are no any kind of tulls between those cities. You can just walk from your city to another, but remember the time is different. The clock is one hour more in Finland and vice versa.
Nowadays there are no special goods that people use to buy from neighbour country, 20 years ago the situation was different. Finnish use to buy butter I remember.
Today many Finns goes to Haparanda to buy cheaper alcohol or snus, special bread and something else that you don't find from here.
So, both of these cities are, may I say, quite boring places, altough there are quite lively student life in Tornio. There flows Tornio river trought the city and it's a good place for fishermen.
But honestly, Haparanda is not special tourist friendly city if you compare to Luleå. It might been a good and safety place to live, but for me this city hasn't offer anything. Usuallu just unfriendly service and I really don't why, 'cause I do speak Swedish as well as Finnish.
If you are travelling in Sweden, you can travel to Haparanda by bus. In Finland a train takes you to Tornio. There has been a railway connection between cities and now there has been a chat about connection again, but i don't know anymore about this.
Today the population in Haparanda is about 10 500 and in Tornio 23 250.
- Pros:Unique co-operation between two Northern cities
- Cons:Both of them are quite empty
- In a nutshell:go in the summer time
Scandic's Related Pages
Haparanda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Haparanda - Tornio, unique EU co-operation"
- "Haparanda Skärgård National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Haparanda
- Transportation in Haparanda
- Restaurants in Haparanda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Haparanda
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Haparanda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haparanda
Top 10 Pages
- Alaska Intro, 47 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Helsinki Intro, 50 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 40 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anchorage Intro, 31 reviews, 27 photos
- Finland Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 22 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Huntington Beach Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fairbanks Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Porvoo Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Cordova Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos