"Tallinn, the city will never be the same" Tallinn County by Scandic
Tallinn County Travel Guide: 1,006 reviews and 1,871 photos
There's something about Tallinn, the city changes all the time. It comes more and more European stylish all the time, but still there is pieces of Russian atmosphere. And that is not bad thing att all, even some people want to forget the long history with Russia. Which is of course very understandable, but good things such an architecture should not be ruined.
Tallinn called himself as a pre-European Union Tallinn. That is true, the city has really felt a totally make-over since beginning of 90's. Nowadays there are lots of IT-technology firms and modern malls. City is cleaner and friendly than 10 years ago.
Maybe it's not as safe as Scandinavia and in some shops and cafes you are wondering why sales persons treat you like a rubbish, but anyway it is a town that has much to offer.
I can't tell you too much about The Old Town of Tallinn, it is so pittoresque and fascinating place. It's so lucky that the wars haven't ruined it. And now since 1997 the Old Town of Tallinn has been on UNESCO’s World Heritage list.
Its powerful defensive structures have protected Tallinn from being destroyed in wars, and its lack of wooden buildings has protected it from burning down. But it is also crucial that Tallinn hasn’t been massively rebuilt in the interest of dispensing with the old and modernising the town.
You may have heard about Sound Grounds, The collective consciousness of the Estonian nation has two beliefs related to the general song festivals. One of the famous festival pales is located in Pirita.
Pirita, located 5-7 kilometers from Tallinn’s city centre, borrowed its name from the Order of St. Bridget’s Virgin Mary Cloisters.
In the early 20th century, the seaside town of Pirita began to develop into a destination for Sunday rides and a bathing area.
Today Pirita is one of the favourite places in Tallinn for spending free time, with its bathing beaches, coastline, pine-forested parks, and picturesque Pirita River valley. The whole area offers a spectrum of possibilities for active holidays.
Tallinn’s Botanical Garden has lands on either side of the Pirita River, near the Forest Cemetery and Tallinn’s TV Tower, where you can achieve a view from 170 meters high, over the city and its surroundings.
- Pros:Old Town, absolutely...
- Cons:There's still some bad influences from Soviet power, like customer service which is sometimes very bad,
- In a nutshell:European city with Russian influence
Pegasus is wonderful restaurant in Tallinn. It's very modern and trendy and you'll get delicious food from there. First... more travel advice
There are many wonderful shops in Tallin, and prices are quite low if you compare other Europe countries. Of course the... more travel advice
Scandic's Related Pages
Tallinn County Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My good, old home town"
- "A Brit's guide to Tallin"
- "The capital of Estonia"
- "tallinn (reval) estonia"
- "The Noble City of Tallinn"
- "Tallinn, the city will never be the same"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tallinn County
- Hotels in Tallinn County
- Transportation in Tallinn County
- Nightlife in Tallinn County
- Restaurants in Tallinn County
- Shopping in Tallinn County
- Warnings and Dangers in Tallinn County
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tallinn County
- 13 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Tallinn County?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tallinn County
- Posted in Travel Anchorage Forum "RE: RE: Living In Anchorage"
- Wrote a Review local design in Tallinn County Shopping
- updated a Tallinn County Travel Page "Tallinn, the city will never be the same"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Small interesting boutiques in Old Town"
- Commented on one of Lodestar's Tallinn County travel pages
Photos in Tallinn CountySee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Alaska Intro, 47 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Helsinki Intro, 50 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 40 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anchorage Intro, 31 reviews, 27 photos
- Finland Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 22 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Huntington Beach Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fairbanks Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Porvoo Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Cordova Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos