Australia Off The Beaten Path Tips by craic
Australia Off The Beaten Path: 388 reviews and 535 photos
Pic of our wallaby.
... can we see kangas in the wild?
And I reply - Well, you see, the thing about kangas and wallabys is they are a bit naughty.
We have plenty around us - even a semi tame one who often comes into our paddock with her joey - but when we have overseas visitors she vanishes - so I take them for a walk in the bush to known sighting places at the right time of day (morning or evening - they sleep in the middle of the day) no kangas!
They are protected so they are quite tame - just stare at you, or loll around.
Unless you have overseas visitors when they hide in the bushes and giggle.
Seriously though, I have heard of bus trips in the Blue Mountains and places like that that have established feeding points so you can almost guarantee to see kangas in the wild.
In a bus or a train in the morning or at dusk keep your eyes peeled - bound (joke) to see some.
If you are driving at night or in the early morning or at dusk keep your eyes more than peeled or you might suddenly see one close up as it comes through your windscreen on top of you.
When I first came to Oz in the 70s I was desperate to see kangas and koalas so we went to the zoo.
Koalas are a disappointment, they do very little and what they do do is very slow. But kangas are so graceful and amazing.
Go to a zoo or a park so you don't miss out - and ask around when you are in a more rural area (well, even Canberra actually, because the road to the airport is littered with dead kanga bodies) and I am sure people will tell you about (or even take you to) known kanga sighting places.
I still haven't seen a koala in the wild.
Approaching The Rock station.
I know this place exists. I have passed through it on the train to Melbourne. It is between Henty and Wagga Wagga.
But it is not on VT's database - nor could I google up anything about it.
According to google there is only one rock in Oz and that is Ayers (Uluru) Rock.
(Oh and plenty of rock music, of course.)
But it is a pretty nice rock, as one approaches the station one sees a big rock and one thinks -I know why they named this town The Rock.
It is not off the beaten path. Of course it isn't. It is on the main trunk line between what used to be called Port Jackson and what was almost named Batmania. (John Batman had quite a bit to do with founding Melbourne.)
But if it aint on VT's database and you can google nothing about it, it might as well not exist.
Maybe the locals like it that way.
Very nice rock, by the way. Quite noticeable.
(People with more advanced google skills have told me you can find info about it. So apparently it does exist in cyberspace - just it is hard to find.)
More Reviews (3)
craic's Related Pages
Australia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Down Under"
- "Australia - you're standing in it"
- "♫ I COME FROM A LAND DOWN-UNDER ♫"
- "AUSTRALIA PAGE IS DEDICATED TO THE ANCIENTS...."
- "Down Under Roundtrip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Australia
- Hotels in Australia
- Transportation in Australia
- Nightlife in Australia
- Restaurants in Australia
- Shopping in Australia
- Warnings and Dangers in Australia
- See All...
Explore the World
- South Haven
- Old Orchard Beach
- Ponta Negra
- Cheltenham Hotels
- Kyllini Hotels
- Dundas Town Hotels
- Gula Hotels
Badges & Stats in Australia
- 113 Reviews
- 408 Photos
- 797 Forum posts
- 28 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Australia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Australia
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Dull, or Boring"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wildlife - Reptile and Spider Warning"
- updated a Australia Travelogue "Wildlife - Reptile and Spider Warning"
- Commented on one of zanzooni's Australia travel pages
- Wrote a Review Tourists often ask me .... in Australia Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palmerston North Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Otaki Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Italy Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Martinborough Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (250)
Top Australia hotels
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3342 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 2280 Reviews - 4795 Photos
- Gold Coast Hotels
- 846 Reviews - 1810 Photos
- Sydney Hotels
- 5744 Reviews - 13367 Photos
- Adelaide Hotels
- 973 Reviews - 2115 Photos
- Port Douglas Hotels
- 227 Reviews - 586 Photos
- Canberra Hotels
- 852 Reviews - 2115 Photos
- Cairns Hotels
- 863 Reviews - 2195 Photos
- Brisbane Hotels
- 1600 Reviews - 3449 Photos
- Darwin Hotels
- 685 Reviews - 2049 Photos
- Surfers Paradise Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 346 Photos
- Mackay Hotels
- 74 Reviews - 124 Photos
- Geelong Hotels
- 318 Reviews - 667 Photos
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Hotels
- 460 Reviews - 1271 Photos
- Hamilton Island Hotels
- 129 Reviews - 401 Photos