Australia Off The Beaten Path Tips by craic
Australia Off The Beaten Path: 376 reviews and 475 photos
Pic of our wallaby.
... can we see kangas in the wild?
And I reply - Well, you see, the thing about kangas and wallabys is they are a bit naughty.
We have plenty around us - even a semi tame one who often comes into our paddock with her joey - but when we have overseas visitors she vanishes - so I take them for a walk in the bush to known sighting places at the right time of day (morning or evening - they sleep in the middle of the day) no kangas!
They are protected so they are quite tame - just stare at you, or loll around.
Unless you have overseas visitors when they hide in the bushes and giggle.
Seriously though, I have heard of bus trips in the Blue Mountains and places like that that have established feeding points so you can almost guarantee to see kangas in the wild.
In a bus or a train in the morning or at dusk keep your eyes peeled - bound (joke) to see some.
If you are driving at night or in the early morning or at dusk keep your eyes more than peeled or you might suddenly see one close up as it comes through your windscreen on top of you.
When I first came to Oz in the 70s I was desperate to see kangas and koalas so we went to the zoo.
Koalas are a disappointment, they do very little and what they do do is very slow. But kangas are so graceful and amazing.
Go to a zoo or a park so you don't miss out - and ask around when you are in a more rural area (well, even Canberra actually, because the road to the airport is littered with dead kanga bodies) and I am sure people will tell you about (or even take you to) known kanga sighting places.
I still haven't seen a koala in the wild.
Approaching The Rock station.
I know this place exists. I have passed through it on the train to Melbourne. It is between Henty and Wagga Wagga.
But it is not on VT's database - nor could I google up anything about it.
According to google there is only one rock in Oz and that is Ayers (Uluru) Rock.
(Oh and plenty of rock music, of course.)
But it is a pretty nice rock, as one approaches the station one sees a big rock and one thinks -I know why they named this town The Rock.
It is not off the beaten path. Of course it isn't. It is on the main trunk line between what used to be called Port Jackson and what was almost named Batmania. (John Batman had quite a bit to do with founding Melbourne.)
But if it aint on VT's database and you can google nothing about it, it might as well not exist.
Maybe the locals like it that way.
Very nice rock, by the way. Quite noticeable.
(People with more advanced google skills have told me you can find info about it. So apparently it does exist in cyberspace - just it is hard to find.)
More Reviews (3)
craic's Related Pages
Australia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Down Under"
- "Australia - you're standing in it"
- "♫ I COME FROM A LAND DOWN-UNDER ♫"
- "AUSTRALIA PAGE IS DEDICATED TO THE ANCIENTS...."
- "Down Under Roundtrip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Australia
- Hotels in Australia
- Transportation in Australia
- Nightlife in Australia
- Restaurants in Australia
- Shopping in Australia
- Warnings and Dangers in Australia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pietermaritzburg Hotels
- Nagpur Hotels
- Malana Hotels
- La Paz Hotels
- Vancouver Island Off The Beaten Path
- Wyoming Off The Beaten Path
- Grand Bahama Island Off The Beaten Path
- Barbados Off The Beaten Path
- Nogales, Mexico
- Dublin Off The Beaten Path
- Sudbury Off The Beaten Path
- Berkeley Off The Beaten Path
- Karachi Off The Beaten Path
- Kennebunkport Off The Beaten Path
- Ushuaia Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Australia
- 113 Reviews
- 408 Photos
- 819 Forum posts
- 28 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Australia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Australia
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: I am coming to Melbourne in..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wildlife - Reptile and Spider Warning"
- updated a Australia Travelogue "Wildlife - Reptile and Spider Warning"
- Commented on one of zanzooni's Australia travel pages
- Wrote a Review Tourists often ask me .... in Australia Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palmerston North Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Otaki Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Italy Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Martinborough Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (250)
Top Australia hotels
- Gold Coast Hotels
- 836 Reviews - 1796 Photos
- Sydney Hotels
- 5764 Reviews - 13433 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3371 Reviews - 7591 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 2288 Reviews - 4816 Photos
- Adelaide Hotels
- 979 Reviews - 2129 Photos
- Surfers Paradise Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 346 Photos
- Port Douglas Hotels
- 227 Reviews - 586 Photos
- Brisbane Hotels
- 1645 Reviews - 3655 Photos
- Cairns Hotels
- 866 Reviews - 2193 Photos
- Canberra Hotels
- 886 Reviews - 2275 Photos
- Geelong Hotels
- 318 Reviews - 667 Photos
- Caloundra Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 113 Photos
- Hamilton Island Hotels
- 143 Reviews - 417 Photos
- Coffs Harbour Hotels
- 250 Reviews - 567 Photos
- Airlie Beach Hotels
- 186 Reviews - 727 Photos