"I was unnerved by Zagreb" Zagreb by craic
Zagreb Travel Guide: 1,942 reviews and 4,952 photos
Yeah - sure - I had been traveling around a lot and was tired out. But my kind hosts - most hospitable and friendly people! - asked me what I thought about Zagreb. (After I had expressed some trenchant opinons about a few other places.)
And all I could say was - "It is very like Australia."
I mean - I wasn't there for very long at all, and I was completely tired out - but the superficial differences were very slight.
The people seemed to move at the same rhythm and be dressed pretty much the same. The shops seemed to be the same.
It was as if I recognised it.
By Australia - I think I may mean Melbourne.
I can only think that there were many emigrants from this part of the world who came to Australia and shaped it.
I could only see small differences. For instance this arrangement of seats in a cafe - as if the customers are audience for the big raw play of street life. That caught my attention. I hadn't seen that before.
A vox pop in the street. Seen it all before. It felt odd to me that I couldn't understand the language.
And here I am in Zagreb. Just bought some delicious strawberries in the market and putting them on my head.
It is strange to be so unnerved by such a peaceful and prosperous place.
Perhaps I was just expecting it to be more different.
I think it must be different in a way that eluded me. I was only there for 2 days and a bit.
- Pros:Very good hosts, very kind people.
- Cons:Shouldn't it be more different?
- In a nutshell:Better get back and have another look.
I will add more as I think of them. I wanted to check my email so I found an internet cafe near the main square. The... more travel advice
And visiting Mirogoj is quite an experience - awe inspiring, a little bit amusing, and saddening too. First off I was... more travel advice
craic's Related Pages
Zagreb Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ZAGREB MY HOME TOWN"
- "Love at first sight - Zagreb"
- "Underrated Zagreb"
- "Zagreb - city of blue trams"
- "Going through some changes..."
- "Zagreb, what a city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zagreb
- Hotels in Zagreb
- Transportation in Zagreb
- Nightlife in Zagreb
- Restaurants in Zagreb
- Shopping in Zagreb
- Warnings and Dangers in Zagreb
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zagreb
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Zagreb?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zagreb
- Posted in Travel New Zealand Forum "Re: NZ for 20 days in January 2016"
- Wrote a Review Some random thoughts about Zagreb in Zagreb Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Some random thoughts about Zagreb"
- Commented on one of polardabar's Zagreb travel pages
- updated a Zagreb Travel Page "I was unnerved by Zagreb"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palmerston North Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Otaki Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Italy Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bogliasco Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue