"I was unnerved by Zagreb" Zagreb by craic

Zagreb Travel Guide: 1,853 reviews and 4,670 photos

Yeah - sure - I had been traveling around a lot and was tired out. But my kind hosts - most hospitable and friendly people! - asked me what I thought about Zagreb. (After I had expressed some trenchant opinons about a few other places.)
And all I could say was - "It is very like Australia."
I mean - I wasn't there for very long at all, and I was completely tired out - but the superficial differences were very slight.
The people seemed to move at the same rhythm and be dressed pretty much the same. The shops seemed to be the same.
It was as if I recognised it.
By Australia - I think I may mean Melbourne.
I can only think that there were many emigrants from this part of the world who came to Australia and shaped it.

I could only see small differences. For instance this arrangement of seats in a cafe - as if the customers are audience for the big raw play of street life. That caught my attention. I hadn't seen that before.

A vox pop in the street. Seen it all before. It felt odd to me that I couldn't understand the language.

And here I am in Zagreb. Just bought some delicious strawberries in the market and putting them on my head.
It is strange to be so unnerved by such a peaceful and prosperous place.
Perhaps I was just expecting it to be more different.
I think it must be different in a way that eluded me. I was only there for 2 days and a bit.

• Pros:Very good hosts, very kind people.
  • Cons:Shouldn't it be more different?
  • In a nutshell:Better get back and have another look.
  • Intro Updated May 18, 2007

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I dream to visit Croatia and Zagreb for a long time... Thank you Jennifer for this interesting page!

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2009 at 7:35 AM

I got a similar photo with this Dolac Lady :)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2008 at 10:27 AM

only one tip, but wonderfully written. i agree, always trust VT over TV

• loonytoon01's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2007 at 10:36 AM

Tnx 4 saying you liked ZG, although it seems that it was not a highlight of your travels. You mentioned- position of the chairs and tables: it's cause people here people watch-Croatian favorite pastime. And yeah, it is as lame as it sounds. :)

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2007 at 3:06 PM

You think it was bad at the train station. Try driving around that city. I wear every street is called Hvclatchskynsk or Zrstliskenesk.

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2007 at 1:18 PM

Man, you were unlucky. When I took the train from Zagreb to Belgrade I spoke English, paid in Euros, and had no problems at all other than I discovered I had to change trains unexpectedly. Thankfully the English speaking passengers gladly helped me :).

• iwys's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2007 at 3:53 PM

I travelled around Croatia, one of the most photogenic countries in Europe, without a camera :(

• May 19, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Great you see you started working on this page. Looking forward to more insights on the big raw play of Zagreb street life.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Somehow that sounds familiar! Things like that add some extra spice to travelling.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Good to see you enjoying chaos again. Is there anything as sweet as getting on a train, not knowing where it's going, but soon you'll be some place new?

Badges & Stats in Zagreb