"I came to no harm in Bari" Bari by craic

Bari Travel Guide: 129 reviews and 322 photos

I arrived in Bari from Lecce by train at about 1pm and my ferry left at about 7 pm - but I have heard such stories about Bari that I was feeling quite intimidated by it. I found it to be a bit scruffy, but the people who I stopped to ask the way were most obliging - especially the 2 police who were watching some sort of demonstration of exciteable youths in a shop front - don't know what that was about - the police went out of their way with charming smiles to put me on the right track.
So my first impression was excellent.
It would be interesting to explore this place. Find out why people tell stories about it.
The pic is of an old fort that I passed once I had got out of the business district and onto the waterfront.

• Intro Updated Apr 25, 2007

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Indeed Jenn, it does look quiet in the Old Quarter! I too wonder what goes on in there - made me think of a noon hour walk I once took in Belize City!! Great tip on your ferry ride - just my cup of tea.

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2010 at 9:28 PM

What an alarming page title! How funny to meet you here-was trying to find out about Bari rather than looking at your stuff. Glad you lived to tell the tale>

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2009 at 6:09 AM

I would be much more apprehensive than you if I were alone. Your writing is delightful and so entertaining.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2009 at 1:27 PM

I'm always up for a bun fight. ;) I waited for the ferry here too, Jen but all I remember doing was buying a couple cheap bottles of wine and laying on a park bench. I was one of the scruffy types the guidebooks warn again. lol

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2008 at 7:44 AM

HeHe, yep it is quite a walk to the ferry port!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2008 at 10:48 PM

I have only been once in Bari, to sail on a ferry to Greece. What we saw of the city was pleasant but nice locals warned it was not safe to leave children (13 Y + three 9 Y) alone with the three cars!

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2008 at 1:21 PM

"Scary Bari!" It seems like a good locale for one of those awful fright films.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2007 at 7:39 AM

I've just thought, what a great name for a pub : Bar - I

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2007 at 3:35 AM

"Chaos and slackness" - only if viewed from our perspective. Somehow it still manages to happen. Cheers.

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2007 at 3:39 PM

You write so well. So deadpan. And your home page picture would be perfect in the back of a book!

Badges & Stats in Bari