"The House of Wives" Top 5 Page for this destination Camogli by craic

Camogli Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 92 photos

I have very much wanted to go to Camogli ever since I saw a photo of it taken early last century of a wild sea beating right up against the buildings.
It used to be a dirt poor fishing village - a local friend told me the name comes from Casa di Mogli - House of wives. So many widows, so many wives whose husbands were away at sea fishing.
It's not dirt poor now of course.

Cafes, restaurants, gelateria, shops. On a sunny Sunday in November it is just the place to take the kids and grandma and the dog for an airing.

Mind you, all these cliffside fishing villages have many stairs down - and stairs up too - to make you feel you have deserved that coffee or ice cream.

The station is listed on the timetable as Camogli-S. Fruttuoso, which is a bit confusing. But San Fruttuoso is an ancient and beautiful monastery on a beach which can only be reached by boat. One of the places you can catch a boat to it is from Camogli. I saw ferries going to other places too. Like the underwater statue - The Christ of the Abyss.
I think that is the statue that got damaged in 2004 and was taken out of the water to be repaired and someone saw something miraculous on its chest - something like that. I saw people in Genova back in 2004 queuing round the block to look at it.
And I saw a dive school too. So there you go - the diving must be reasonable. Maybe people dive to look at the chest of The Christ Of The Abyss.

• Pros:So pretty.
  • Cons:I think it looked better back in the old days when the foreshore was less cluttered.
  • In a nutshell:Still - pretty enough to bring on a fit of hyperventilation.
  • Intro Updated Dec 11, 2007

• foona's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I'm dreaming about Liguria and Camogli for next summer. I might come back with lots of questions. hugs from freezing Norway

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2009 at 1:28 PM

I love your blue peg tip! Rusted pans are good for health: they bring more iron to the body that a large can of spinach!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2008 at 6:17 AM

Jennifer, thanx for your splendid stories and pictures! Take care! ~

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Trust you to find a blue clothes peg on the beach...did the customs take the pebble off you?

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2008 at 11:08 AM

wonderfully left field stuff - blue clothes pegs indeed !

• nada1712's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Oh yes!!

• pattypoo's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2007 at 2:05 AM

What mode of transport are you using to get around all these villages Jen.. I have enjoyed the tour.. x

• Dec 13, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Want to read all these lovely little Italy pages but have to go to work in the cold dark winter. Will be back later to read more. hugs xx

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Haha, great write up Jen! I love your pages :o) Cool blue peg story.....and I hope your rock doesn't get confiscated! :o) Cheers xx

• Guantanamera's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Ah yes, the mountain is high and Beijing is far away. Let us Westphalians not interfere amidst the shrewd contentions of Romans and Ligurians.

Badges & Stats in Camogli

Have you been to Camogli?

Latest Activity in Camogli