"The House of Wives" Top 5 Page for this destination Camogli by craic
Camogli Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 92 photos
I have very much wanted to go to Camogli ever since I saw a photo of it taken early last century of a wild sea beating right up against the buildings.
It used to be a dirt poor fishing village - a local friend told me the name comes from Casa di Mogli - House of wives. So many widows, so many wives whose husbands were away at sea fishing.
It's not dirt poor now of course.
Cafes, restaurants, gelateria, shops. On a sunny Sunday in November it is just the place to take the kids and grandma and the dog for an airing.
Mind you, all these cliffside fishing villages have many stairs down - and stairs up too - to make you feel you have deserved that coffee or ice cream.
The station is listed on the timetable as Camogli-S. Fruttuoso, which is a bit confusing. But San Fruttuoso is an ancient and beautiful monastery on a beach which can only be reached by boat. One of the places you can catch a boat to it is from Camogli. I saw ferries going to other places too. Like the underwater statue - The Christ of the Abyss.
I think that is the statue that got damaged in 2004 and was taken out of the water to be repaired and someone saw something miraculous on its chest - something like that. I saw people in Genova back in 2004 queuing round the block to look at it.
And I saw a dive school too. So there you go - the diving must be reasonable. Maybe people dive to look at the chest of The Christ Of The Abyss.
- Pros:So pretty.
- Cons:I think it looked better back in the old days when the foreshore was less cluttered.
- In a nutshell:Still - pretty enough to bring on a fit of hyperventilation.
... some things aren't a surprise. I had seen a pic of these big cooking pans on Giampiero's page. So I even knew they... more travel advice
Lying on the beach very close to the blue clothes peg - which is in perfect working order - was a cunning little work of... more travel advice
craic's Related Pages
Camogli Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The House of Wives"
- "one spot, two VTers, two round trips..."
- "The Unspoiled Ligurian Seaside Village"
- "Camogli....an enchanting village"
- "Camogli - May 28th - June 3rd"
- "Camogli, Jewel of Liguria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Camogli
- Hotels in Camogli
- Transportation in Camogli
- Nightlife in Camogli
- Restaurants in Camogli
- Shopping in Camogli
- Warnings and Dangers in Camogli
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Camogli
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Camogli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Camogli
Photos in CamogliSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palmerston North Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Otaki Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Italy Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Martinborough Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos