"You can't go wrong if you visit Lecce" Top 5 Page for this destination Lecce by craic

Lecce Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 198 photos

I have never been anywhere like this before. So sleepy and yet so bustling and lively. So beautiful in its own special way. I was absolutely charmed by it. Although there are tourists - there are not hordes of them. None of the locals seemed at all touristed out. I received marvellous friendliness and helpfulness from everyone I met or had anything to do with. Perfect manners. And great pride in their little city.

Laid back charm. And after living in Rome I really noticed the clean streets, the lack of homeless and beggars. I saw a busker or two - but that's fair enough.
Also I noticed the streets were so uncluttered by cars. People were walking or biking.
That creates such a relaxing ambience.

And this is what most of the tourists come for. The beautiful architecture (Spanish influenced) in the local honey coloured stone.

• Pros:So beautiful, so friendly.
  • Cons:Umm - ah - can't think of one. I never struck one.
  • In a nutshell:Much cheaper than in the north.
  • Last visit to Lecce: May 2006
  • Intro Updated May 25, 2007

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2010 at 12:37 PM

G'day, Jennifer ! I see you've had a splendid stay there... Good for you!><><><

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Jennifer, Lecce sounds like a very interesting little place to experience! Just the sort of quirkiness I too enjoy. Thank you for a laugh or two and here is wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2009 at 5:56 AM

Remarkable page with genuine insights, interesting experiences, and enlightening tales. That was some B&B! Just great reading.

• Pod's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2008 at 4:53 AM

wooo, great pages. thanks for the tips and stuff.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2008 at 10:55 PM

That seems a very interesting place. I am not surprised about public bath. I know there was one in Grenoble not a very long time ago (if I count, it is longer away than expected!). I had friends who used it weekly as they had no bathroom at home.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2008 at 8:39 AM

great page - it's not often you get a ghost story as a tip !

• karentids's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2008 at 4:05 AM

Great pages and I just love your interesting text. We will be staying near Tramutola mid April but wish we had not booked - would love to have stayed at the Il Banano

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2007 at 11:54 AM

This is beautiful, Jen. Great photos and superb text as always. Glad you enjoyed my VA page, but truly, there is nothing else to say - except to the family counselor, ha ha ha.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2007 at 7:48 AM

Great page on what looks like a great little city,as always beautifully written, and you are quite right about the color of the stones in the walls. I don't think I ever saw a banana tree before. Another place to try and get to. N.

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2007 at 7:33 AM

Il Banano B&B does look charming was the Irish Ambassador and his wife charming???

Badges & Stats in Lecce