"Livorno is a town that doesn't give a damn. Great!" Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno by craic
Livorno Travel Guide: 163 reviews and 476 photos
And there is just one thing I want to say to you. Ready?
Ok you Livornese. There is nothing wrong with your city that could not be fixed by getting out of your cars and off your vespas and into the buses and onto your bicycles. (But did you realise how you scared me by not wearing helmets while biking?)
The traffic is horrible in your city.
You are very bad drivers.
This is not helped by the traffic light system. The little green crossing man is showing but as one crosses, suddenly all the traffic from the side road starts pouring across the road.
A woman thrust her baby in a stroller out into the melee shouting at me "Be bold! Just cross!"
I think that was what she said.
She may have been shouting "You ***! Get out of town!"
I had just seen two traffic accidents so I did not feel like being bold.
This is obviously a tough little city with plenty of attitude with a very fleet of foot population.
My great grandmother, Telena Scaramelli, left Livorno many many years ago. She married an Irishman and settled in Otaki in NZ.
She never went back to visit and no one in my family has ever been.
So it was a very special moment as the train pulled into Livorno.
I expected something. I don't know what. But something.
I got the strange moment on the bus to Miramare. (I went to Miramar primary school in Wellington, NZ.)
As the bus drove by the big deserted square with the two statues, early in the morning, just the sea breeze blowing in, I got the strangest feeling.
Later in the day I walked back to the square.
Now there were people about. But it was still haunted.
I have only one question.
Why is one statue and the steps around it absolutely covered with pigeon poop, while the other statue is poop free?
- Pros:Not very beautiful, not many tourists.
- Cons:I was too scared to cross the road.
- In a nutshell:Tons of don't give a damn.
Livorno has got the old fortress on the harbour but in my wanderings I didn't see a lot of old stuff. (And I never took... more travel advice
... that I hadn't arrived in Livorno kitted out with waterproof beach bag and all the trimmings. Like I saw so many... more travel advice
craic's Related Pages
Livorno Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "livorno, my hometown together with Rio"
- "this is the coolest town in Italy for young people"
- "Livorno is a town that doesn't give a damn. Great!"
- "Azhut's new Livorno Page"
- "Livorno ,tuscany,italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Livorno
- Hotels in Livorno
- Transportation in Livorno
- Nightlife in Livorno
- Restaurants in Livorno
- Shopping in Livorno
- Warnings and Dangers in Livorno
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Livorno
- 14 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 42 Forum posts
- 89 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Livorno?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Livorno
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: DELTA STRANDS OUR FRIENDS!"
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Livorno travel pages
- updated a Livorno Travel Page "Livorno is a town that doesn't give a damn. Great!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "I was about to start my walk back into town ..."
- Wrote a Review Old stuff in Livorno Things to Do
Photos in LivornoSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palmerston North Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Otaki Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Italy Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Martinborough Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos