"There's a castle in Otranto" Top 5 Page for this destination Otranto by craic
Otranto Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 79 photos
One hears of the gothic horror novel The Castle of Otranto all the time. (Not that I've read it.)
So I was well pleased when I was told while staying in Lecce that we were doing a day trip to Otranto.
"Is there a castle?" I earnestly enquired.
Of course there is a castle.
But we didn't get to see inside because we arrived at the tricky time of day (about 1pm) when everything closes for 3 hours.
So we strolled a round the foreshore which was most pleasant.
My friends told me that the train line from Rome was meant to go as far as Otranto - it was on the plans - but for some reason it stopped at Lecce.
So Otranto is still quite sleepy and peaceful and undiscovered.
But I did notice many many restaurants and cafes on the foreshore. So maybe I mean relatively peaceful and undiscovered.
The park was full of these blossom trees which have the most beautiful and overpowering scent.
I have noticed the same trees in Rome - but they don't flourish there.
Here in the south they achieve their full potential.
- Pros:What a charming place.
- Cons:I wasn't here very long.
- In a nutshell:Of course there is a castle in Otranto.
In March the weather was balmy and fresh. The streets weren't crowded. The proprietors of the cafes and restaurants... more travel advice
craic's Related Pages
Otranto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "There's a castle in Otranto"
- "The best sea in the whole Italy"
- "Had no idea it would be this nice"
- "Otranto is a jewlery"
- "Un estate fa....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Otranto
- Hotels in Otranto
- Transportation in Otranto
- Nightlife in Otranto
- Restaurants in Otranto
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Otranto
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Otranto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Otranto
Photos in OtrantoSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palmerston North Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Otaki Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Italy Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Martinborough Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos