"I went looking for Quarto dei Mille" Quarto dei Mille by craic
Quarto dei Mille Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 7 photos
Because of the fascinating story Erminia from Torino had told me about how it changed its name from Quarto al Mare. Its sister village is Quinto al Mare.
The names come from Roman times. Quinto - five miles from Genova. Quarto - four miles from Genova. Al mare - by the sea.
That's Quinto back there so maybe I have stepped into Quarto.
I've rounded the bend and I am definitely now in historic Quarto dei Mille.
The story Erminia told me was that back on the 5th May 1860 Garibaldi and his thousand (nearly a thousand) men set sail from here to free Sicily from its unpopular king and set in train the unification of Italy.
So the name was changed from al Mare to dei Mille - in honour of the (nearly) thousand men.
If this was the deeply shelving, wave smashing beach they set sail from then they were very brave men.
- Pros:Very historic - and pretty.
- Cons:The monument was swathed in scaffolding.
- In a nutshell:I was thrilled to be here.
... on the main drag - which is called V Maggio. (5th of May.) There seem to be lots of streets in Italy called V Maggio... more travel advice
craic's Related Pages
Quarto dei Mille Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quarto dei Mille
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Quarto dei Mille?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quarto dei Mille
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palmerston North Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Otaki Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Italy Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Martinborough Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos