"I went for a walk through Nervi" Quinto al Mare by craic
Quinto al Mare Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 8 photos
And thought I had found the quainter, grittier part of Nervi. But no - I had wandered into the next village.
The penny dropped the day we were meant to go to Portofino but the weather was crap so we just went for a stroll along the Passegiata Anita Garibaldi - and we found out it started - or ended, depending on your viewpoint - in the next village - which is Quinto al Mare.
This means five miles (from the centre of Genova) by the sea. This comes from Roman times when Romans swarmed over this neck of the woods.
The next village up used to be called Quarto al Mare - (four miles) but when Garibaldi sailed from there to Sicily to get the unification of Italy under way they changed the name to Quarto dei Mille. In honour of the (nearly) a thousand men who set off with him.
I had had a suspician in my mind since I was on the bus from Bogliasco to Genova and the woman sitting next to me said something like - I have to get out at Quinto.
I thought - this must be another village.
Here is a pretty little railway bridge and just out of shot - Canoes for Hire.
We got some postcards at one of those all purpose shops that sells jeans, and toys and cds, and postcards, on the seafront - and they were 10 cents cheaper than any others I have found.
- Pros:Very pretty.
- Cons:Hard to tell where Nervi stops and Quinto al Mare starts.
- In a nutshell:All part of greater Genova anyway.
- I do. But the villa we are staying in specialises in Ligurian cuisine. So it is heavy on the pesto and the pasta... more travel advice
Friends have told me the waves crash most spectacularly over parts of the path when the sea is wild - but you get the... more travel advice
craic's Related Pages
Quinto al Mare Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Quinto al Mare
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Quinto al Mare?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quinto al Mare
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palmerston North Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Otaki Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Italy Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Martinborough Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos