"I went for a walk through Nervi" Quinto al Mare by craic

Quinto al Mare Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 8 photos

And thought I had found the quainter, grittier part of Nervi. But no - I had wandered into the next village.

The penny dropped the day we were meant to go to Portofino but the weather was crap so we just went for a stroll along the Passegiata Anita Garibaldi - and we found out it started - or ended, depending on your viewpoint - in the next village - which is Quinto al Mare.

This means five miles (from the centre of Genova) by the sea. This comes from Roman times when Romans swarmed over this neck of the woods.

The next village up used to be called Quarto al Mare - (four miles) but when Garibaldi sailed from there to Sicily to get the unification of Italy under way they changed the name to Quarto dei Mille. In honour of the (nearly) a thousand men who set off with him.

I had had a suspician in my mind since I was on the bus from Bogliasco to Genova and the woman sitting next to me said something like - I have to get out at Quinto.
I thought - this must be another village.
Here is a pretty little railway bridge and just out of shot - Canoes for Hire.
We got some postcards at one of those all purpose shops that sells jeans, and toys and cds, and postcards, on the seafront - and they were 10 cents cheaper than any others I have found.

• Pros:Very pretty.
  • Cons:Hard to tell where Nervi stops and Quinto al Mare starts.
  • In a nutshell:All part of greater Genova anyway.
  • Intro Updated Dec 12, 2007

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Brazilian born Anita Garibaldi was indeed a great woman that fought with her husband like a man.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM

It's amazing how not speaking the language can sometimes not be a barrier to communication, isn't it? Lovely sounding place and I love the diver statue.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2007 at 7:56 AM

i can see i'm going to enjoy your gelati selection of italian flavoured pages

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2007 at 11:30 AM

Anita was Garibaldi's first wife and a very brave woman. Garibaldi's biography is a very interesting read.

Badges & Stats in Quinto al Mare

Have you been to Quinto al Mare?

Latest Activity in Quinto al Mare