Rome Local Custom Tips by craic
Rome Local Customs: 376 reviews and 435 photos
Soccer madness - and Kir Royale
The lift in my block of flats was very intimate. It was necessary to make conversation as one stood breast to breast.
The young lad from the flat downstairs got in with his friend and because they had a little English and perfect manners - and because Italia was about to play Australia in the World Cup - we have a perfect conversation topic.
He pointed at me and said - Australiana!
His friend was very interested.
So I did a round or two of Aussie Aussie Aussie Oy Oy Oy!
Which amused (and embarrassed) them mightily.
And I managed to intimate that they might be shouting - Forza Italia!
But no. They clouded over. And managed to convey to me that a political party had used Forza Italia as a slogan (batardi!) and the young people no longer used it. It had been appropriated and tainted.
The pizza joint downstairs had a tv and showed soccer matches so whenever there was a match on the joint was crowded with fans, munching on pizza and supping beer or wine - people stopping in the street to check it all out through the open doors.
And one would hear the chanting.
Roma Roma Roma
Roma in the night.
As far as I can gather there are two local teams. Roma and Lazio. But where I lived in Trastevere they all seemed to be Roma fans.
Francesco Totti comes from Testaccio - just across the river - and he is huge in Rome too. But he doesn't play for Roma. I am almost sure he plays for Juventus. But I know someone will correct me if I am wrong.
If you want some excellent local fun - just turn up to any bar or cafe that has a tv on match day - and I can guarantee excellent local fun.
Dead vespa - 2004
And another thing that had moved on since I had got my ideas of Italy inculcated.
The ubiquitous scooters were no longer called Vespas. Motorini. (Singular motorino, I think.)
Any language is always moving on of course. Each new generation likes to put their stamp on it.
The little motors were everywhere still. Often ridden by people who were smoking a cigarette and talking on their mobile phone (cellulare).
But I was glad to say I rarely saw someone without a helmet.
Eavesdropping on the train I would hear people on their cellulari say something like -
"Pronto. Certo. Certo. Treno. Cinque. Piazza Venezia. Ok. Ok. Graz'. Ciao ciao."
I had a pretty fair idea of what was going on.
More Reviews (41)
- See All The Keats-Shelley House
- See All Cool Bar
- See All If you can afford to buy this frock ...
- Every Sunday
craic's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "weekends in Rome"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Explore the World
- Santa Bárbara de Nexe Hotels
- Nedvedice Hotels
- South Africa Hotels
- Mangas Hotels
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 43 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 616 Forum posts
- 162 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
Photos in RomeSee All Photos (112)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palmerston North Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Otaki Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Italy Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Martinborough Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
Latest Rome hotel reviews
- Grand Hotel Tiberio
- 231 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Al 55 Hotel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- Golden Tulip Ambra Palace
- 211 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Domus Romana
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- 294 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- B&T Rooms Trani
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013
- Hotel Seiler
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Convent Suore Sacra Famiglia Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 24, 2012
- Hotel Teti
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Jul 19, 2008
- Best Western Hotel Rivoli
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Seven Hills Village S.R.L
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Nizza Hotel
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Hotel Lirico
- 401 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Colosseum- 488 Reviews, 883 Photos
- Trevi Fountain- 328 Reviews, 534 Photos
- Piazza Venezia - Vittoriano- 183 Reviews, 299 Photos
- Roman Forum- 295 Reviews, 548 Photos
- Pantheon- 261 Reviews, 523 Photos
- Piazza di Spagna - Spanish Steps- 294 Reviews, 455 Photos
- Castel Sant'Angelo- 140 Reviews, 259 Photos
- Piazza Navona- 234 Reviews, 401 Photos
- Villa Borghese- 88 Reviews, 154 Photos
- Campo dei Fiori- 59 Reviews, 103 Photos
See All Rome Things to Do