"Down by the Hungaroa River" Martinborough by craic

Martinborough Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 69 photos

I lived here for a couple of years back in the late 70s. The rent was $6 a week. No mod cons. It was called Honey Cottage - because one of the previous tenants had kept bees. There were still bees in the bathroom roof.

My orphan magpie Denis Windfall Glover.

When I left I abandoned my shell collection down by the Hungaroa.

I RETURNED WITH MY SON TO LOOK AT MARTINBOROUGH IN 2008. BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO MESS WITH THIS PAGE I WILL MAKE A NEW WAIRAPA PAGE AND POST A LINK TO IT HERE.

• Pros:The rent was $6 a week.
  • Cons:I had to leave.
  • In a nutshell:Martinborough has changed a lot I think.
  • Intro Updated Apr 18, 2009

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2009 at 12:06 PM

I reads like you had a real memorable time in this area in the past days-writing and chasing moths with the cat. It look close to as remote as some places I saw in Utah parks area on my recent trip

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM

This is a very special page on VT, it's clear to see it's been done by a writer. Thank you!

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2009 at 5:07 AM

Yeah, used to be reservoirs but now it's a wetlands park. Hern. That's it. Had 'tern' in my head but they're seabirds, even a longtone knows that.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Wonderful story about this house that is now silent --- wow, six dollars a week - unbelievable! Inflation is really bad...

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Thank you for the joy which your story and the fotos gave me!Thank you!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2008 at 9:58 PM

This secret valley and Honey Cottage looked like a perfect location! Amazing story!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2008 at 9:48 AM

G'day, Jennifer! I enjoyed reading your pages: very poetic and with a lot of inspiration! Thanks a lot! Take care! ~AU-UA~

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Great page!

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2008 at 1:50 AM

What a different page! I truly enjoyed every word and every picture!

• Oct 25, 2007 at 10:15 AM

I don't know if you have noticed, but this little page is the most architecture-focused piece of your writing (that I know of). Enjoyed reading it very much.

Badges & Stats in Martinborough

Have you been to Martinborough?

Latest Activity in Martinborough