Venice Warnings Or Dangers Tips by craic
Venice Warnings and Dangers: 275 reviews and 311 photos
The stairs on the Rialto can be tiring too.
I was at a loose end in Venice, strolling about, up and down all the stairs on all the bridges, down the narrow! alleyways, watching the hordes fighting to get on and off the vaporetti.
My daughter had noticed in Rome that all the visible injuries seemed to be whiplash - so many neck braces (motor scooters?) but in Venice it was broken legs. She reckoned it was the treacherous step onto the vaporetti - but I thought the cobblestones might have had something to do with it too.
Anyway - there I was at the Barefoot Bridge - and I saw two older tourists with two huge suitcases each. They were trying to haul them up the 20 or so stairs - too afraid to leave one behind at the bottom because there were hordes of fake bag sellers eyeing them - but it was simply beyond their strength.
I had time on my hands so I stepped up to them and offered to help. They had obviously been told never to let anyone help them with their suitcases - so even though I was of an age with them - and quite respectably dressed - and speaking quite good English - they were very scared to let me help.
But they had to. They wouldn't let me help them very much - just over the bridge - I would have helped them all the way to their hotel. But they were having a luggage crisis and couldn't think straight. I think they were having a marriage crisis too. "Just exactly how many pairs of shoes did you think you would need in Venice???" Something like that.
Please think very carefully about how much luggage you bring to Venice. Wheels don't cope well with steps and cobblestones. I can imagine prams and strollers aint great either.
I noticed the local mothers had very light strollers for their kiddies. And one often met deliverymen on the bridges with those useful trolley things manoeuvering small loads of soft drink etc.
Don't bring huge amounts of luggage to Venice. You will hate yourself.
If there was high water - I don't know what you would do.
More Reviews (9)
craic's Related Pages
Venice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wandering around Venice with Suvanki"
- "Amore eterno per Venezia la Serenissima :-)"
- "Venice – the City of Art"
- "Vacations in Venice"
- "MERAVIGLIOSA VENEZIA"
- "Giacomo CASANOVA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Venice
- Hotels in Venice
- Transportation in Venice
- Nightlife in Venice
- Restaurants in Venice
- Shopping in Venice
- Warnings and Dangers in Venice
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Venice
- 10 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 157 Forum posts
- 44 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Venice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Venice
Photos in VeniceSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palmerston North Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Otaki Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Italy Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bogliasco Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (236)
- Palazzo Ducale - Doge's Palace- 208 Reviews, 408 Photos
- Campanile di San Marco- 152 Reviews, 277 Photos
- Piazza San Marco- 307 Reviews, 498 Photos
- Gondola- 168 Reviews, 283 Photos
- Rialto Bridge- 175 Reviews, 301 Photos
- Canal Grande- 198 Reviews, 340 Photos
- Basilica di San Marco- 244 Reviews, 433 Photos
- Ponte dei Sospiri- 136 Reviews, 200 Photos
- Murano Island- 56 Reviews, 91 Photos
- Churches- 59 Reviews, 161 Photos
See All Venice Things to Do