Venice Warnings Or Dangers Tips by craic

Venice Warnings and Dangers: 274 reviews and 302 photos

The stairs on the Rialto can be tiring too. - Venice

The stairs on the Rialto can be tiring too.

Luggage in Venice

I was at a loose end in Venice, strolling about, up and down all the stairs on all the bridges, down the narrow! alleyways, watching the hordes fighting to get on and off the vaporetti.
My daughter had noticed in Rome that all the visible injuries seemed to be whiplash - so many neck braces (motor scooters?) but in Venice it was broken legs. She reckoned it was the treacherous step onto the vaporetti - but I thought the cobblestones might have had something to do with it too.

Anyway - there I was at the Barefoot Bridge - and I saw two older tourists with two huge suitcases each. They were trying to haul them up the 20 or so stairs - too afraid to leave one behind at the bottom because there were hordes of fake bag sellers eyeing them - but it was simply beyond their strength.

I had time on my hands so I stepped up to them and offered to help. They had obviously been told never to let anyone help them with their suitcases - so even though I was of an age with them - and quite respectably dressed - and speaking quite good English - they were very scared to let me help.

But they had to. They wouldn't let me help them very much - just over the bridge - I would have helped them all the way to their hotel. But they were having a luggage crisis and couldn't think straight. I think they were having a marriage crisis too. "Just exactly how many pairs of shoes did you think you would need in Venice???" Something like that.

Please think very carefully about how much luggage you bring to Venice. Wheels don't cope well with steps and cobblestones. I can imagine prams and strollers aint great either.

I noticed the local mothers had very light strollers for their kiddies. And one often met deliverymen on the bridges with those useful trolley things manoeuvering small loads of soft drink etc.

Don't bring huge amounts of luggage to Venice. You will hate yourself.

If there was high water - I don't know what you would do.

• Updated Oct 12, 2007