"Searching for ancestral memory in Otaki" Otaki by craic
Otaki Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 41 photos
I found the old homestead where my great grandmother and father used to live. A guy who makes willow baskets uses it for storage. It is just off the main drag and used to be a dairy farm. When Otaki was rural. It won't be there much longer I think, but the verandah posts and floorboards which are matai will be saved and used to build boats or furniture.
Trains don't stop at Otaki any more. I had to go there by bus. I used the Intercity/Newmans bus alliance, but the Naked Bus goes there too.
There are at least four cemeteries in Otaki, and only graves in the public cemetery are on the register, but I eventually found my family graves in the cemetery between the convent and the marae on Convent Road.
Otaki is an odd town because there is a main drag which is a highway, now lined with outlet shops. You turn off to get to the beach which is 4 k away. The township proper with the library and 2 pubs is about half way between the highway and the beach.
- Pros:A nice little town. Plenty of outlets.
- Cons:A difficult town if you don't have a car.
- In a nutshell:I didn't get to see the beach, middle of winter, no car, but I suppose it is still great.
A word of warning. Cafes shut up shop really early. It was a cold, wet miserable day and my bus left at 5-45pm. So I... more travel advice
... from the top of the hill by the war memorial I saw more graves down in the valley. So I set off cross country along... more travel advice
craic's Related Pages
Otaki Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Otaki
- 14 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Otaki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Otaki
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palmerston North Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Otaki Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Italy Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Martinborough Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos