"Getting to know Palmerston North" Top 5 Page for this destination Palmerston North by craic

Palmerston North Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 92 photos

I'm living for three months in the Square Edge. It's a lovely old building looking out onto the Square so it is right in the thick of things. My flat is at the top and to the back so I don't get a good view of the Square. But I do get to hear the music from the club, which is across the back courtyard from me, every Friday and Saturday night. So my spot isn't the quietest spot in the world. But luckily I am a night owl and can just groove along. I quite like Abba.

A view of the Square, which is a wonderful amenity. Palmy dubs itself the City Of Roses, and they certainly seem to do well here. But the big Square seems to encourage Palmy to sprawl out a lot. It is not ideal for pedestrians. There's a lot of walking from one place to another. Of course it is flat walking so not too bad. The streets are wide and the cars a little impatient so I wait for the Cross Now sign and they appear to be on a very long setting so one waits and waits and waits.

I will be looking for the small details as well as the big picture while I am here. This little self seeded pansy was by a bed of snapdragons. So obviously last year it was a bed of pansies. And this little beauty is the child of last year.

• Pros:The locals are so relaxed and friendly.
  • Cons:They are like Venetians, they go to bed very early. I am expecting to see gondalas in Rangitikei Street.
  • In a nutshell:This city has its own flavour and way of being.
  • Intro Updated Apr 25, 2010

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2011 at 3:27 PM

From your reply to my post do I deduce that the Koo Wee Rup forum is a hive of activity?

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2010 at 2:52 AM

Ah, I see - your stay is nearly over... Great Palmy photo on your homepage. My hubby's mother grew up in Palmy. Enjoy this friendly place. Sissi

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2010 at 1:16 PM

The street art and galleries look interesting, but AI also like to read tombstones in cemeteries; the oldest us was 1700's ion Charlotte NC

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I was glad to hear that you were not driven screaming into the foyer by that bad show! Karate escorts and a cemetery with a view, this page is full of surprises and history too! Jennifer, I always enjoy your unique 'take' on life!

• scrooge1947's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Interesting to see your own city in someone elses eyes. Well done, looking forward to a coffee, Cheers Kelvin

• Docu2001's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Greeting Jen ... I don't visit as often as I used to but when I do I always like to stop by your site. Hope all is well in your world. Richard

• Manara's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2010 at 12:22 AM

I like the Square Edge building! It reminds me of Charles Rennie McIntosh. And I'm glad to hear that you can have a good gelato in Palmerston North.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2010 at 12:06 AM

nice page. i like that street art. it really spices up a place.

Badges & Stats in Palmerston North

Have you been to Palmerston North?

Latest Activity in Palmerston North