Wellington Transportation Tips by craic Top 5 Page for this destination

Wellington Transportation: 48 reviews and 50 photos

NB London bus - which must be lost! - Wellington

NB London bus - which must be lost!

The ticketing system in a process of flux - 2008

There are now three zones in Wellington city - there used to be sections. Look for a map of the zones on the link I give below.
I find the site quite! easy to use and understand.
I had invested in ten trip tickets - and also used the daytripper ticket for $5 if I was going to be out and about a lot - but now the snapper card is in the process of being phased in so it is all brand new again. No ten trip tickets after the end of August 2008 - though they can be used up until December.

Above is the link for snapper cards.
You have to pay to buy them ($10 in the introductory phase and $15 thereafter) and there is a saving of 25%.
They don't work on the city section which costs $1 and is from the railway station to Courtenay Place.
You can top them up on line or at various places around the city with Snapper symbols in the window. And buy a coffee or pay for your drycleaning with them.
They work on GoWellington buses, not the green Newlands coaches, which are a separate entity.
Nor do they work on the trains - called Tranzmetro at the moment but that will change as the rail system in NZ has just been sold again.

• Updated Apr 4, 2011
Airport Flyer

I am now in a position to give you the good oil about the Airport Flyer.
This useful service seemed at first to have a lot of names. Which I found confusing.
The Airport Flyer, the Valley Flyer, the Stagecoach Flyer and the Flyer.
But I have found out the Valley Flyer is just a normal bus which goes out to the Hutt Valley.
The Airport Flyer is bright orange and the buses are new with plenty of space for luggage.
It seems to zip through town about every 20 minutes (but check the timetable on the link below. On the link below it is called the Flyer, number 91.)
It purportedly stops anywhere there is an orange attachment on the bus stop with Stagecoach Flyer on it.
I caught it today near the Beehive and went out to Queensgate mall. It is more expensive than ordinary buses ($6-50 for me). To give you an example of how much more expensive it is it cost me $4 for an ordinary bus back.
The bus driver did try to help the strangers in town by occasionally calling out which stop it was. "Anyone want the station?" But like don't depend on that, because Wellington bus drivers get paid just over minimum adult wage ($12-70 an hour I think) and are notoriously terse and hard pressed.
It is not a flat rate for the whole trip. You pay by how many zones you are travelling. One zone is $3-50 up to $8-50 to be driven out past Petone into the heart of the Hutt Valley.
Anyway it is a useful service and I like the way it travels so far from the airport. It could be a little more user friendly though. Big loud announcements (not necessarily by the driver) of which stop is next would be great.

You can buy a Starpass for $10 which provides unlimited travel on the Airport Flyer and on all buses in Wellington and the Hutt Valley. Except on Newlands buses which are bright green.

The snapper card is just being phased in and I am not sure how this will affect the daytripper tickets and Starpasses.

Website: http://www.metlink.org.nz/timetables.php?route=091

• Updated Jul 26, 2008
Probably not sorry really! - Wellington

Probably not sorry really!

There are problems from time to time

Oh dear. It started raining (so I suppose people who might have walked a few blocks decided to take the bus) and it was about 5-20 pm and I caught a bus from Courtenay Place to Thorndon -and oh dear this was not a good idea.
Mind you a stretch of Lambton Quay was being ripped up and this would not have helped.
But Wellington does do rush hour and gridlock and jam packed buses which leave people waiting at stops.
The Wellingtonians were patient and well mannered though. So I tried to be too.

I had noticed the very polite way buses flash SORRY - OUT OF SERVICE if that is indeed their condition. But had also noticed that I seemed to be continually getting the cranky drivers. Like - I got on the Flyer, which is the airport bus, by mistake and the driver curtly said - "Wrong ticket, get off." And several other drivers had been peremptory with me.

I told my cousin and he said Wellington is notorious for brusque bus drivers and in fact it is mentioned in Lonely Planet. So they are certainly living up to their reputation.

I took a mystery trip out to Vogeltown yesterday - just because I had never been to Vogeltown - and the driver was very curt with me when I asked him how many zones it was.
And I noticed it is not the customers who put him in a bad mood. It is notable how nearly every one calls out - "Thank you, driver," as they exit the bus. Maybe it is the difficult terrain of Wellington that makes them tetchy. The Vogeltown roads were certainly a thrill a minute.

Yesterday I went to catch my bus at 7-07 in Tinakori Road and had a surrealistic experience of thinking I had mistook the time and it was maybe 3am. No traffic at all. I patiently waited and finally a bus turned up at 7-37. I found out a truck and trailer had overturned in a main street down in town and all traffic, including buses, had stopped for over an hour.

So things can go wrong, as always, and if it is important that you are somewhere at a certain time, allow for things going wrong.

I would have caught a taxi - but there was no traffic. Eerie.

• Updated Jul 26, 2008

craic Used To Live Here!

Badges & Stats in Wellington

Have you been to Wellington?

Latest Activity in Wellington