"Raffish and Energetic - Quirky and Agreeable" Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington by craic
Wellington Travel Guide: 603 reviews and 1,313 photos
Wellington has such a particular look and feel. The beautiful harbour, the hills, the weather, the wooden houses - I think the tradition of wooden houses comes from the fact that Wellington was thickly forested in the 1840s when Europeans started living here. So you had to cut the trees down to build your house. And as you had to do that it wouldn't make sense to then make bricks, now would it? Also, wood is a little more earthquake friendly.
The bucket fountain in Cuba Mall. With what scorn and opprobrium it was greeted maybe 30 years ago. Now it is a treasured (if slightly rusty) icon.
Cuba Street (and Cuba Mall) were named after one of the early ships bringing settlers.
Now it wouldn't be fair to walk around Italy photographing washing and to ignore Wellington washing, just because Wellington is one's home town, now would it?
On the back verandah so it has a chance of drying.
NB I have not found the public transport system the easiest thing to work out - and the bus drivers often seem to not be on top of it all. So sometimes asking them gets you nowhere. And now (July 2008) the snapper card is being introduced so there is more confusion.
The public transport system is not integrated - so the snapper card doesn't get you on all public transport.
- Pros:Jolly nice place, you can keep very fit here, very few portly people.
- Cons:It is the ends of the earth, but you know, that can be a plus.
- In a nutshell:It is provincial, but these days it seems so prosperous and placid. (Except for the boy racers - more of that anon.) The accent seems odd to begin with.
I have spent a lot of time at the Wellington Zoo because I grew up in this city. And I have seen it change from lions... more travel advice
People in NZ eftpos all the time. They don't seem to carry cash. Mothers in my local shop eftpos 2 ice creams for their... more travel advice
craic's Related Pages
Wellington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Capital on Shaky Hills and wind-swept Seas"
- "Wellington - Capital of New Zealand"
- "Raffish and Energetic - Quirky and Agreeable"
- "WELLINGTON - The Capital of our country."
- "wellington, nz"
- "Makara Beach"
- "Windy Wellington"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wellington
- Hotels in Wellington
- Transportation in Wellington
- Nightlife in Wellington
- Restaurants in Wellington
- Shopping in Wellington
- Warnings and Dangers in Wellington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wellington
- 32 Reviews
- 126 Photos
- 89 Forum posts
- 62 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Wellington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wellington
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palmerston North Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Otaki Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Italy Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Martinborough Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos