"Raffish and Energetic - Quirky and Agreeable" Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington by craic

Wellington Travel Guide: 603 reviews and 1,313 photos

Wellington has such a particular look and feel. The beautiful harbour, the hills, the weather, the wooden houses - I think the tradition of wooden houses comes from the fact that Wellington was thickly forested in the 1840s when Europeans started living here. So you had to cut the trees down to build your house. And as you had to do that it wouldn't make sense to then make bricks, now would it? Also, wood is a little more earthquake friendly.

The bucket fountain in Cuba Mall. With what scorn and opprobrium it was greeted maybe 30 years ago. Now it is a treasured (if slightly rusty) icon.
Cuba Street (and Cuba Mall) were named after one of the early ships bringing settlers.

Now it wouldn't be fair to walk around Italy photographing washing and to ignore Wellington washing, just because Wellington is one's home town, now would it?
On the back verandah so it has a chance of drying.

NB I have not found the public transport system the easiest thing to work out - and the bus drivers often seem to not be on top of it all. So sometimes asking them gets you nowhere. And now (July 2008) the snapper card is being introduced so there is more confusion.
The public transport system is not integrated - so the snapper card doesn't get you on all public transport.

• Pros:Jolly nice place, you can keep very fit here, very few portly people.
  • Cons:It is the ends of the earth, but you know, that can be a plus.
  • In a nutshell:It is provincial, but these days it seems so prosperous and placid. (Except for the boy racers - more of that anon.) The accent seems odd to begin with.
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2008

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM

want to see a Kiwi take even a one legged kiwi.

• craic's Profile Photo
      Jun 24, 2013 at 11:50 AM

they are an odd little thing and worth seeing

• Oct 11, 2011 at 11:34 PM

hi craic wow you saved that guy in mt cook wanting to go to mt wellington big time. I never knew there was a mt cook in wellington!

• muguruki's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2011 at 9:07 AM

No rough types in The Shepherds Arms that counts me out then. Happy Birthday!

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2010 at 5:53 AM

Great page! When I visited NZ, I only got as far south as Rotorua. Looking at your pictures makes me want to go back and see so much more! Thanks for sharing!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Brilliant page on Wellington! I especially like how you sprinkle in a lot of your own opinions and commentary. It makes for interesting reading.

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2009 at 11:04 PM

I just love old houses. The feeling people leave in them seem to linger after they are gone. I have taken the same kind of tour of old places I;ve lived . Just a great log

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Out TV travel station featured this, so I thought would see what you say. Great pictures and comments. Eco go.

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Great page, Jen. You almost make me want to visit New Zealand - although, as you know, I don't go much to English speaking places with up to date plumbing.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2009 at 7:15 AM

Terrific travelogues. I love architecture so enjoyed that emphasis. Brilliant photographs and personable narratives. Good to "go back" and see all the changes and foster memories.

• pure1942's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Great page and info here Jennifer. Will hopefully be visiting Wellington during our trip next year. I'll be checking back on this page before our journey. Thanks for sharing.

craic Used To Live Here!

Badges & Stats in Wellington

Have you been to Wellington?

Latest Activity in Wellington