"The last town on the Belgrave line" Belgrave by craic

Belgrave Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 100 photos

A gloomy day in Belgrave. Middle of winter. It is hard to get a good shot of Belgrave because it is set down in the bottom of a bowl of tree covered hills.
It is a pretty town set in the Dandenong ranges - at the end of the train line - and most notorious I suppose because this is where the Puffing Billy sets off from with its cargo of tourists.

Perhaps you have heard about Melbourne's famous laneways with their sanctioned street art? (There was such an outcry when it was to be removed for the Commonwealth Games that it was let be. And quite right too.)
Well, that cute, grungy area with cafes is not quite as big (or as amazing) as one might hope but the concept has spread outwards to Belgrave - which is an hour by train.
This is an obviously sanctioned piece of street art in the laneway from the main drag up to the car park and the library.
But - what would happen, one wonders, if the concept of change, comment, addition was applied here and people let fly with their own art?
Me, personally, I am itching to do it.

• Pros:It has got a real village feel to it and a quirky character.
  • Cons:The big mall complexes down the line are sucking the life out of the main street.
  • In a nutshell:It's a jolly nice place.
  • Intro Updated Nov 17, 2010

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2009 at 2:33 PM

So charming, Jennifer. Your style of writing is quite fascinating and so appealing. This was a delightful page.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Very nice sentiments about the Lone Pine - and I would also love to go on that steam train - maybe they'll still let me dangle my legs (I won't jump, hehehe)..Norman :)

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2009 at 3:06 PM

So many nice little towns within train journey of where you live. Lots of potential for exploring.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2009 at 11:32 PM

This town will be on my list when we next visit Melbourne. I would LOVE the Local And Global shop. And I am a sucker for steam trains. Nice page

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2009 at 9:22 PM

It is a very good thing to learn that there is no room anymore for any conflict! Excellent busking spot, I will remember that if some day I need it!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2009 at 4:48 AM

A smart busker!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2008 at 7:30 AM

now that is a busker with a business brain - he probably used to work for Lehman brothers.

Badges & Stats in Belgrave

Have you been to Belgrave?