"I really wanted to go to Alamein" Camberwell by craic
Camberwell Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 10 photos
Yep, there is a suburb here in Melbourne called Alamein and it is serviced by the train.
You get to Camberwell and you hear the disembodied voice chant - "Change here for Alamein."
My uncle fought at El Alamein and I grew up with Alamein looming large.
So I set out to go to Alamein in Melbourne.
I don't know what I was expecting. Probably not much, because there is no VT location for Alamein.
But I was expecting a war memorial.
It is a single line from Camberwell to Alamein. The train choofs out and then it choofs back.
It goes through Riversdale, Willison, Hartwell, Burwood, Ashburton - and then Alamein.
The stations are close together. It is a peaceful suburban scene, undisturbed by conglomerations of interesting shops. Or any war memorials, that I could see.
And here is a pic of the piazza in Camberwell. They have a Sunday market here. Camberwell is not the prettiest place in the world - but they do have a lovely Art Deco cinema called the Rivoli. I will get a pic of it next time I visit.
- Pros:Alamein and Camberwell are very different.
- Cons:Nothing wrong with being different.
- In a nutshell:Both of them are pleasant places.
I could not believe my luck. In a side street so it is quiet. (In case you are not up with Melbourne iconography... more travel advice
craic's Related Pages
Camberwell Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Camberwell
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Camberwell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Camberwell
- Posted in Travel Rome Forum "Re: Rome experts: which is your..."
- updated a Camberwell Travel Page "I really wanted to go to Alamein"
- Uploaded a Photo to "I really wanted to go to Alamein"
- Wrote a Review There is a Brunettis here! Scream! in Camberwell Restaurants
- Commented on one of alisonr's Camberwell travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palmerston North Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Otaki Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Italy Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Martinborough Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos