"I really wanted to go to Alamein" Camberwell by craic

Camberwell Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 10 photos

Yep, there is a suburb here in Melbourne called Alamein and it is serviced by the train.
You get to Camberwell and you hear the disembodied voice chant - "Change here for Alamein."
My uncle fought at El Alamein and I grew up with Alamein looming large.
So I set out to go to Alamein in Melbourne.
I don't know what I was expecting. Probably not much, because there is no VT location for Alamein.
But I was expecting a war memorial.
It is a single line from Camberwell to Alamein. The train choofs out and then it choofs back.
It goes through Riversdale, Willison, Hartwell, Burwood, Ashburton - and then Alamein.
The stations are close together. It is a peaceful suburban scene, undisturbed by conglomerations of interesting shops. Or any war memorials, that I could see.

Very peaceful out in Alamein. I suppose this is the true memorial for my uncle and those like him.

And here is a pic of the piazza in Camberwell. They have a Sunday market here. Camberwell is not the prettiest place in the world - but they do have a lovely Art Deco cinema called the Rivoli. I will get a pic of it next time I visit.

• Pros:Alamein and Camberwell are very different.
  • Cons:Nothing wrong with being different.
  • In a nutshell:Both of them are pleasant places.
  • Intro Updated Jan 16, 2010

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2009 at 5:40 AM

It looks like your little trip down the tracks allowed you to find some hidden gems! Great that you could briefly re-live memories from your time in Italy and also stumble across some shops that piqued your interest!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2009 at 3:29 PM

nice to see more or your musings on your periamulations

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2009 at 10:19 AM

I want to got to Alamein too, but the visas (Libya) require the purchase of an escorted tour! Good tip on the Salvation Army, I buy books from Charity Shops.

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Brunetti, apparently a name to remember if I travel to your part of the world.

Badges & Stats in Camberwell

Have you been to Camberwell?