"Just one of the many Exeters in the world" Exeter by craic

Exeter Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 14 photos

I had to go over to Exeter to check on my mare who I have loaned to a lttle girl - and as it has been a while since I have been there - thought I would do the tourist things and check on all the facilities.

After all it is a charming little leafy Southern Highland's village - some tourist could well end up here looking for a cafe or a pub or maybe even a Public Toilet.

No pub, alas, but there is a cafe and a Public Toilet and quite a few other things. Even, I was surprised to notice, accomodation! Now, that's new.

And I am also pleased to report the mare is doing fine and is well cared for.
And why shouldn't she be happy - she lives on this farm. Five minutes walk from the station.
Very rural, Exeter.

And a church. Mustn't forget the church. Someone told me it was the oldest in NSW. Something like that.
Drifts of daffodils under the trees in spring. Very Brit.

And a hall. Just across the road from the church. I know people who got married in the church and crossed the road to the hall for the reception. Very handy.

Public Toilets in the park just behind the hall.

PS As far as I know Exeter's claim to fame is a Brit TV commercial for icecreams that was shot here a few years back. They needed sunshine to be ready to hit the icecream loving populace as it hotted up in Britland.
(Or maybe it was just a giant rort. Trip to Oz for the boys and girls sort of thing.)
Anyway, they came here, painted the railway station blue (and had to paint it back the regulation shades of pumpkin) and painted the shop, which gratefully accepted its fate. Shot the happy couple getting off the train and buying icecreams at the shop - and then, as far as I know, until today when the locals seemed most amused to see me clicking away, the world has passed it by.

STRANGE BUT TRUE - A fortnight after I had flippantly decided to do a page on Exeter - I went to a funeral here. The son of a dear friend. (Just because the friend was 93 and the son was 60 plus doesn't make it easier to loose a child.)
With what a strange feeling I returned to this hall - when I had looked at this town as a tourist would.

• Pros:What a delightful little fly speck on the map.
  • Cons:The cafe is for sale! What if it closes! Nothing to do!
  • In a nutshell:Probably a better place to live than to go looking for tourist thrills.
  • Intro Updated Jun 25, 2007

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2010 at 1:28 PM

This really has a lot of charm and sites to walk around and enjoy.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2009 at 8:15 AM

NO PUB in Exeter!!! That must be a rarity in Aussie. I also loved Calender Girls. Proves that us antiques still have a bit.

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Pity it is dangerous to walk on that road. It looks so inviting with those shady trees!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I'm still smiling, Jennifer, about your accomodations tip! What a delightful spot to present on VT. As usual, you insights are keen, your wit is wonderful, and the photographs are grand.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2009 at 2:50 AM

Looks like fun. Love those old country roads with no white lines. Not enough of them here. But...no pub? At least they have rest areas!

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Hi, Looks and sounds like a peace&quiet place. Your tips and photos are great. I liked the opening photo too. greetings from Istanbul.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2009 at 10:24 PM

G'day, Jennifer! It's definitely a nice place to visit!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2008 at 6:42 AM

It's been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon, er, Exeter.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2008 at 2:17 PM

That looks like a perfect backcountry village to spend a few days for rest, even if there is nothing to visit! I like this kind of places!

• Helenbb's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2007 at 7:41 PM

haha. i love Europe more than i can say .. .. and.. its even more expensive for Chinese i think.

Badges & Stats in Exeter