"The oldest inland city in Australia" Top 5 Page for this destination Goulburn by craic
Goulburn Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 143 photos
Goulburn! Dear old Goulburn. Always had a bit of a penchant for it. It is as easy to go to Goulburn and shop as it is to go to Bowral. But we nearly always go to Bowral.
Bowral is just a bit more ... you know.
But on my last birthday I said to Matt - I want to go to Goulburn and be a tourist!
We stopped to take a pic of this place which I have noticed before.
I had a bit of a giggle at an undertakers called Craic. But I was making the same mistake so many VTers make with my nick. (Not Irish members, of course.)
"It's craic not craig!"
But I was making the mistake the other way round.
Anyway - I said to husband - "If and when, send me to those guys."
(What do I mean - if? I mean when.)
Odd web site I must say. For instance the Regional Art Gallery doesn't give opening hours. Maybe you have to guess. Or hope for the best.
The waterworks museum sounds like a blast!
A row of what used to be hotels and boarding houses. Convenient for the itinerant workers coming to town to spend their pay.
The Coolawin Hotel is one of my watering holes. While I am waiting for the train. Or if I decide to catch the next train. Shabby inside.
A couple of pokies no one seems to play. A couple of permanent fixtures slowly ingesting a beer. Or three. I find it very relaxing. Unwinds the mind. A couple of curious glances to contend with then you can just sink back into minding your own business.
In this row of buildings there is also a second hand bookshop. Doomed. One of those shops you walk into and you just know it won't be there next time you come to town. And an art gallery a guy has set up to sell his own work. Also doomed.
Don't know what they will be next time.
But the pub has been there for a very long time.
Up on the top of Rocky Hill.
Seen this structure everytime we have driven into Goulburn for the last twenty years. Often vaguely wondered what it was. An old water tower, maybe.
Also seen a sign - War Memorial.
So off we went to find the War Memorial.
Bit of an epic because there was only one sign. Matthew was ready to give up. But I insisted we keep on trying. As we pulled up the only hill in Goulburn it still hadn't occurred to me that there might be only one sign because you were expected to know that the big old tower on the hill that is the only landmark in the town was the War Memorial.
But that's exactly what it was. And is.
- Pros:On the way in you pass the cemetery, McDonalds and the maximum security jail ...
- Cons:... but they just do that to confuse you.
- In a nutshell:It is actually a rather beautiful little city.
(Across the road from the Railway Station) Couple of pokies, cheap drinks, local identities (many of them local racing... more travel advice
craic's Related Pages
Goulburn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The road to somewhere"
- "The oldest inland city in Australia"
- "Goulbourn - A place I'd love to explore more!"
- "I'VE JUST STARTED THE PAGE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goulburn
- Hotels in Goulburn
- Transportation in Goulburn
- Nightlife in Goulburn
- Restaurants in Goulburn
- Shopping in Goulburn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goulburn
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 47 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Goulburn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goulburn
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Two young French people in..."
- Commented on one of jordy005's Goulburn travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ye Olde Style Watering Hole"
- Wrote a Review Ye Olde Style Watering Hole in Goulburn Nightlife
- updated a Goulburn Travel Page "The oldest inland city in Australia"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 112 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palmerston North Intro, 14 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Otaki Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Italy Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Martinborough Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos