"The oldest inland city in Australia" Top 5 Page for this destination Goulburn by craic

Goulburn Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 184 photos

It's Craig not Craic!

Goulburn! Dear old Goulburn. Always had a bit of a penchant for it. It is as easy to go to Goulburn and shop as it is to go to Bowral. But we nearly always go to Bowral.
Bowral is just a bit more ... you know.
But on my last birthday I said to Matt - I want to go to Goulburn and be a tourist!
We stopped to take a pic of this place which I have noticed before.
I had a bit of a giggle at an undertakers called Craic. But I was making the same mistake so many VTers make with my nick. (Not Irish members, of course.)
"It's craic not craig!"
But I was making the mistake the other way round.
Anyway - I said to husband - "If and when, send me to those guys."
(What do I mean - if? I mean when.)

Goulburn

Odd web site I must say. For instance the Regional Art Gallery doesn't give opening hours. Maybe you have to guess. Or hope for the best.
The waterworks museum sounds like a blast!

Across the road from the railway station

A row of what used to be hotels and boarding houses. Convenient for the itinerant workers coming to town to spend their pay.
The Coolawin Hotel is one of my watering holes. While I am waiting for the train. Or if I decide to catch the next train. Shabby inside.
A couple of pokies no one seems to play. A couple of permanent fixtures slowly ingesting a beer. Or three. I find it very relaxing. Unwinds the mind. A couple of curious glances to contend with then you can just sink back into minding your own business.
In this row of buildings there is also a second hand bookshop. Doomed. One of those shops you walk into and you just know it won't be there next time you come to town. And an art gallery a guy has set up to sell his own work. Also doomed.
Don't know what they will be next time.
But the pub has been there for a very long time.

Up on the top of Rocky Hill.
Seen this structure everytime we have driven into Goulburn for the last twenty years. Often vaguely wondered what it was. An old water tower, maybe.
Also seen a sign - War Memorial.
So off we went to find the War Memorial.
Bit of an epic because there was only one sign. Matthew was ready to give up. But I insisted we keep on trying. As we pulled up the only hill in Goulburn it still hadn't occurred to me that there might be only one sign because you were expected to know that the big old tower on the hill that is the only landmark in the town was the War Memorial.
But that's exactly what it was. And is.

• Pros:On the way in you pass the cemetery, McDonalds and the maximum security jail ...
  • Cons:... but they just do that to confuse you.
  • In a nutshell:It is actually a rather beautiful little city.
  • Intro Updated May 18, 2007

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2009 at 1:44 PM

A very specail page! Thank you for this dive into old Australia!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2008 at 4:56 AM

literary capital of NSW ? does this mean it has a resident who can read and write ?

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Goulburn, goalbin! Very interesting indeed.

• Feb 18, 2008 at 7:55 AM

Jen, what's a "pokie"??

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2008 at 4:41 AM

That's Goulburn! I had to smile at your description of the pub - nearly expect the cast of 'The Shiralee' to appear (well, also at several places around town).

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2007 at 4:32 AM

How is the bookshop? The waterworks museum sound my cup of tea.

• Sep 24, 2007 at 4:34 PM

jen, is this the goulbourn where those rowing chaps sing "goulburn, valley gold..." and dance around with the fruit?

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2007 at 3:09 AM

TI never new it was the oldest inland city in Australia Craig's has been standing ready for the hangman since 1847. DId you meet Alison's parents??

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2007 at 12:15 PM

The very plane that 'accidentally' took me to Croatia crashed in 2005 and all the passengers were lost. Sobering isn't it?

• CdnJane's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2007 at 10:03 PM

Where are they moving the ram too? How will I ever find my tourist trap shop if I ever go back there??? Oh well, I wear my opal necklace daily, have for 7 years now. I'll always remember the Great? Merino!

Badges & Stats in Goulburn

Have you been to Goulburn?

Latest Activity in Goulburn