"A Sweet spot-Sandefjord" Sandefjord by bpwillet
Sandefjord Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 99 photos
This little inlet town is great for a day trip from Oslo or on your way to other areas. There is shopping, eating and some exploring to be done here but at least a few hours or a day is worth spending here.
Sandefjord was once a prominent city in the Norwegian whaling industry. Still has an old whaling ship and a museum dedicated to the industry and whales that are worth a visit.
Check out the Gokstadhaugen, or King's grave site where the Gokstad ship was uncovered and where the Viking Era presence is felt. Also a big trading area for the Vikings was found near here at Kaupang. Officially Sandefjord was a market town starting in 1845 and rose with importance as whaling, timber and social bath gatherings began to put Sandefjord on the map.
Take a look at why this was such a popular holiday destination-then and now.
- Pros:Quaint and serene
- Cons:Not a major stop
- In a nutshell:Great place to get away to
The restaurant is in a prime location right on the harbor. The outdoor seating in the summer is a great place to sit... more travel advice
There are many local shops to choose from in Sandefjord. From Norwegian designer clothing to gallery-like art stores to... more travel advice
bpwillet's Related Pages
Sandefjord Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "How do they survive?"
- "A Sweet spot-Sandefjord"
- "The Whale City, my nice tourist trap"
- "Sandefjord, Larvik area"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sandefjord
- Hotels in Sandefjord
- Transportation in Sandefjord
- Restaurants in Sandefjord
- Shopping in Sandefjord
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sandefjord
- 11 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Sandefjord?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sandefjord
Photos in SandefjordSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Oslo Intro, 131 reviews, 155 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 117 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 115 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goa Intro, 43 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 86 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 69 reviews, 72 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 60 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 51 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 41 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Crete Island Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos