State of Tasmania Transportation Tips by lachydragon
State of Tasmania Transportation: 30 reviews and 24 photos
The Par Avion Cessna at Cambridge
To get in to the track-head at Melaleica it is necessary to catch a small plane from Cambridge Airport in Hobart into the gravel aristrip at Melaleuca in the SouthWest Conservation Area.
Par Avion fly to Melaleuca on demand with Cessna Aircraft and will take 4 passengers and all of the bags per plane. The flight takes about 1/2 an hour and will give you some great views of Hobart before delving into the Tasmanian wilderness as you fly past the imposing Federation Peak and get fantastic views out to Bathurst Harbour.
Flights cost about $150 pp and you cannot take fuel for your stoves onboard so you will have to buy it from Par Avion when you get to Melaleuca. 1L of shellite cost us about $10!!
If you are not keen to walk the South Coast track, Par Avion also run Sightseeing Wilderness Flights which will take you from Cambridge to Melaleuca and then along the stretch of coastline that you would normally walk, I think they then touch down at Cockle Creek and return North to Hobart again - not sure how these are priced...but the walk is better anyway!
More Reviews (3)
lachydragon's Related Pages
State of Tasmania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tasmania, better the Devil, you know"
- "Away from the madding crowd"
- "Tasmania - Australia's best kept secret"
- "7 Days in Heaven... I Mean Tassie"
- "Tasmania the 'anchor' for mainland Australia."
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Tasmania
- Hotels in State of Tasmania
- Transportation in State of Tasmania
- Nightlife in State of Tasmania
- Restaurants in State of Tasmania
- Shopping in State of Tasmania
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Tasmania
- See All...
Explore the World
- New York State
- Sandakan Hotels
- Fort George Island Hotels
- Hørsholm Hotels
- Arsikere Hotels
Badges & Stats in State of Tasmania
- 6 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to State of Tasmania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Tasmania
Photos in State of TasmaniaSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skardu Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- India Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- South Stradbroke Island Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Islamabad Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Hushe Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Byron Bay Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Great Keppel Island Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos
- Hamilton Island Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Simla Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Pakistan Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
Top State of Tasmania hotels
- Hobart Hotels
- 394 Reviews - 823 Photos
- Launceston Hotels
- 132 Reviews - 304 Photos
- Long Island Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Coles Bay Hotels
- 3 Hotels
- Port Arthur Hotels
- 58 Reviews - 166 Photos
- Devonport Hotels
- 33 Reviews - 66 Photos
- Saint Helens Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 81 Photos
- Carlton Hotels
- 30 Hotels
- Swansea Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 15 Photos
- Strahan Hotels
- 47 Reviews - 111 Photos
- Taroona Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Cygnet Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 13 Photos
- Burnie Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Schouten Island Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Ross Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 50 Photos