"Baltistan and Beyond! Travels Thru Nthn Pakistan" Pakistan by lachydragon
Pakistan Travel Guide: 3,786 reviews and 8,350 photos
In June 2001 I embarked on my first overseas trip. Having finished my sencondary schooling and keen to take a break for a year before starting on univiersity, I had the most fantastic opportunity leap up.
A good friend of my dad who has travelled widely and used to work for Australia's national airline - Qantas, asked Dad if he would be keen to do a trip into Northern Pakistan!
Dad then suggested that I come along too. So at age 18, having lived in Australia all my life I was about to embark on my first overseas trip into Northern Pakistan - not every traveller's number 1 destination and certainly the 'deep end' for a first-time traveller.
But my Pakistan advernture was not to be that simple! I have always enjoyed the outdoors, having been brought up camping and bushwalking with my family. In the back of my mind I had always entertained the notion of a grand trek (something like a Himalayan adventure through Nepal and Bhutan). Upon closer inspection I found that the North-Eastern corner of Pakistan (in the unique region of Baltistan) lies the mighty K2 and 8 other peaks over 8000 metres!
In what was to be the best decision of my life, I shared my new found geographical knowledge with a good friend.
So, with my curiosity and my friend's grandiose notions of mountain trekking, I set off for a month in Pakistan, taking me from the 38 degree heat and dust of Islamabad, into the rugged beauty of Skardu, and them by Jeep to the tiny village of Thongol. From Thongol I began the most amazing 15 days of my life as I trekked along the Baltoro Glacier to the Mighty K2 and then crossing the 5500m snow-pass of Gondogoro La at something well-below zero degrees! (armed with ice-axe, harness, crampons and a decent block of chocolate!)
I have so far created an Islamabad, Skardu and Hushe page for my trip. The Skardu page has travelogues for the trekking trip and is where you can find all my mountain photos from Baltistan, please check them out if that kind of thing interests you!
And remember, if you enjoy my pages please take a little time to rate them.
- Pros:Welcoming people, stunning mountain scenery, glaciers and colourful cities!
- Cons:Not being able to return quite as soon as I would like, a beautiful country again caught in an unsettled period of history.
- In a nutshell:Hey, Pakistan is home to the second highest mountain on earth! All the good trekking is not just in NEPAL!
My one regret about the trip I did to Pakistan was that I planed it as a trekking trip but found that I would have loved... more travel advice
The Jeeps were the real workhorses when the roads got tough. In my travels in the Northern Areas, Jeeps and trucks were... more travel advice
lachydragon's Related Pages
Pakistan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Mountain gods Pakistan"
- "Pakistan....from mountains through deserts"
- "Faiza-Ifrah's women's Pakistan off the beaten path"
- "A Westerners Point of View"
- "THE ENCHANTING BEAUTY OF PAKISTAN........."
- "Incredible Pakistan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pakistan
- Hotels in Pakistan
- Transportation in Pakistan
- Nightlife in Pakistan
- Restaurants in Pakistan
- Shopping in Pakistan
- Warnings and Dangers in Pakistan
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pakistan
- 57 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Pakistan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pakistan
- updated a Pakistan Travel Page "Baltistan and Beyond! Travels Thru Nthn Pakistan"
- Posted in Travel Great Keppel Island Forum "RE: Transportation from Great..."
- Commented on one of Laurina's Pakistan travel pages
- Wrote a Review Do spend some time in the cities too! about Villages and Towns in Pakistan Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Do spend some time in the cities too!"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skardu Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- India Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- South Stradbroke Island Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Islamabad Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Hushe Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Byron Bay Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Great Keppel Island Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos
- Hamilton Island Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Simla Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Pakistan Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
Top Pakistan hotels
- Lahore Hotels
- 540 Reviews - 982 Photos
- Karachi Hotels
- 474 Reviews - 1011 Photos
- Islamabad Hotels
- 419 Reviews - 898 Photos
- Murree Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 149 Photos
- Rawalpindi Hotels
- 28 Reviews - 28 Photos
- Peshawar Hotels
- 242 Reviews - 333 Photos
- Muzaffarabad Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 60 Photos
- Faisalabad Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 23 Photos
- Mari Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Gilgit Hotels
- 93 Reviews - 156 Photos
- Gwadar Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 56 Photos
- Multan Hotels
- 33 Reviews - 100 Photos
- Kalam Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 103 Photos
- Skardu Hotels
- 54 Reviews - 145 Photos
- Muridke Hotels
- See nearby hotels