"McLeod Ganj.... So this is the Indian Himalaya!" Top 5 Page for this destination McLeod Ganj by lachydragon
McLeod Ganj Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 335 photos
The town of McLeod Ganj sits along a couple of ridgelines at 1770 metres in the foothills of the Indian Himalayas. It is better know by the name of Dharamshala - however D'shala is actually the township about 9kms lower down the road.
This town is the headquaters of the Tibetan Government in Exile and of course is home to its leader His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama. It is very popular with western tourists but still remains a beautiful place. Cool crisp night in winter but beatuful clear days. The people are wonderful, a fantastic mix of Nepalese and Tibetans alongwith Punjabis, Kashmiris and Plains Indians!
If you are interested in exploring the Buddhist religion there is ample opportunity here as the monks in their bright red robes bring a splash of colour to the town's streets.
The main street is actually two roads that split at the main bus stand in town and travel roughly parallel until they reconnect a few hundres metres later near the road off to the main Temple. Some shops back onto both roads and half way along there is a small chorten and prayer wheels where you can cross between the streets and turn hunders of prayers of 'Om mani padme hum' spinning-off to the gods as you pass!
I have not started making ym VT pages at the begining of my trip and methodically moved through. Instead I have jumped into places where there aren't many VT pages and where I have wonderful memories!!
I reached McLeod Ganj from Shimla (also in Himachal Pradesh) and from here continued back onto the Plains of India and Delhi via a train from neighbouring Punjab state.
Please check out my general India VT page for an overview of this wonderful country and my 2004 Adventure through Northern India!
Also, if you have enjoyed these pages please leave a comment and rate my tips.
Take Care, Travel Well!!
- Pros:Snowy mountains, fluttering prayer flags and welcoming smiles
- Cons:A little bit out-of-the-way
- In a nutshell:A sneak peek at Tibet perhaps?! - Find some peace in the Indian Himalayas
When you first arrive in McLeod Ganj you will either be coming in by public bus or shared taxi from Dharamshala (9kms... more travel advice
McLeod Ganj really is a lovely town to just wander around. This is the view looking along on eof the main streets with... more travel advice
lachydragon's Related Pages
McLeod Ganj Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Still Square - Dharamshala-McLeod Ganj"
- "Little Lhasa"
- "Home of the Dalai Lama & Tibetan Government"
- "McLeod Ganj.... So this is the Indian Himalaya!"
- "Dalai Lama's home town!"
- "Himalayan Paradise!"
- "Tibetan exile"
- See All...
- Things to Do in McLeod Ganj
- Hotels in McLeod Ganj
- Transportation in McLeod Ganj
- Nightlife in McLeod Ganj
- Restaurants in McLeod Ganj
- Shopping in McLeod Ganj
- Warnings and Dangers in McLeod Ganj
- See All...
Badges & Stats in McLeod Ganj
- 10 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to McLeod Ganj?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in McLeod Ganj
- Posted in Travel Great Keppel Island Forum "RE: Transportation from Great..."
- Wrote a Review Shared Buses Dharamshala - McLeod Ganj in McLeod Ganj Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "I have a very very cheap hotel...25 hour hot-water"
- created a McLeod Ganj Travel Page "McLeod Ganj.... So this is the Indian Himalaya!"
Photos in McLeod GanjSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skardu Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- India Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- South Stradbroke Island Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Islamabad Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Hushe Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Byron Bay Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Great Keppel Island Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos
- Hamilton Island Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Simla Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Pakistan Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos