" Great Keppel Island - December 2005 " Great Keppel Island by lachydragon

Great Keppel Island Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 80 photos

The Island Itself...

Great Keppel Island lies about 13 kilometers off the Queensland coast, just above the tropic of Capricorn. In the scale of Queensland Islands, it is one of the larger ones with few resorts and quite large tracts of un-developed forest and beaches. The island covers an area of 1454 hectares (or 3600 acres). One of the nicest feature sof the island itself is the 28kms of beaches that ring the island - plenty of space to spread out and find your own place in the sun!

Our trip...

I visited Great Keppel in December, 2005 with my brother and a friend of his from work. It was a bit of a pre-Christmas break and a chance to unwind after a busy busy 2005! For my brother (Owen) and I it was part of a hop up the coast as we visited Byron Bay on our way up to spend soem time with family before flying from Brisbane to Rockhampton and the catching the launch out to the island.

We stayed at the Mercure Resort, which is the main resort on the island. This was formerly the 'Contiki' resort aimed at 18-35 year olds and for many Australian's Great Keppel is synonymous with the phrase "Get wrecked on Great Keppel" - a reference to the pary spirit of the Contiki days. Nowadays the resort is shaking off that image and we found it to be aimed more towards family holidays.

*** Did you enjoy this Queensland Page! Visit my South Stradbroke Island or Hamilton Island pages for another great look at Queensland's Islands! ***

• Pros:Not too far North (year round swimming) and great walking!
  • Cons:A resort with an identity crisis, a tad run-down
  • In a nutshell:Appreciate the Island for it's natural beauty, not the resort!
  • Last visit to Great Keppel Island: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 17, 2006

lachydragon

“Happiness is a non-cancelled flight booking (see India: Transport tips for the story...)”

Badges & Stats in Great Keppel Island

Have you been to Great Keppel Island?