" Great Keppel Island - December 2005 " Great Keppel Island by lachydragon
Great Keppel Island Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 80 photos
The Island Itself...
Great Keppel Island lies about 13 kilometers off the Queensland coast, just above the tropic of Capricorn. In the scale of Queensland Islands, it is one of the larger ones with few resorts and quite large tracts of un-developed forest and beaches. The island covers an area of 1454 hectares (or 3600 acres). One of the nicest feature sof the island itself is the 28kms of beaches that ring the island - plenty of space to spread out and find your own place in the sun!
I visited Great Keppel in December, 2005 with my brother and a friend of his from work. It was a bit of a pre-Christmas break and a chance to unwind after a busy busy 2005! For my brother (Owen) and I it was part of a hop up the coast as we visited Byron Bay on our way up to spend soem time with family before flying from Brisbane to Rockhampton and the catching the launch out to the island.
We stayed at the Mercure Resort, which is the main resort on the island. This was formerly the 'Contiki' resort aimed at 18-35 year olds and for many Australian's Great Keppel is synonymous with the phrase "Get wrecked on Great Keppel" - a reference to the pary spirit of the Contiki days. Nowadays the resort is shaking off that image and we found it to be aimed more towards family holidays.
- Pros:Not too far North (year round swimming) and great walking!
- Cons:A resort with an identity crisis, a tad run-down
- In a nutshell:Appreciate the Island for it's natural beauty, not the resort!
Great Keppel has a small airstrip and there are a few operators who run charter flights from Rockhampton if travelling... more travel advice
Most people arriving on Great Keppel will catch a bus to Rosslyn Bay marina on the mainland - midway between Rockhampton... more travel advice
lachydragon's Related Pages
Great Keppel Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capricorn Coast - Part 1"
- " Great Keppel Island - December 2005 "
- "affordable island paradise"
- "Great keppel Island"
- "Mangroves & Camels"
- "Beautiful Great Keppel Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Great Keppel Island
- Hotels in Great Keppel Island
- Transportation in Great Keppel Island
- Nightlife in Great Keppel Island
- Restaurants in Great Keppel Island
- Shopping in Great Keppel Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Great Keppel Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Great Keppel Island
- 10 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Great Keppel Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Keppel Island
- Posted in Travel Great Keppel Island Forum "RE: Transportation from Great..."
- Wrote a Review Charter flights to the Island from Rockhampton in Great Keppel Island Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Charter flights to the Island from Rockhampton"
- updated a Great Keppel Island Travel Page " Great Keppel Island - December 2005 "
Photos in Great Keppel IslandSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skardu Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- India Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- South Stradbroke Island Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Islamabad Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Hushe Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Byron Bay Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Great Keppel Island Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos
- Hamilton Island Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Simla Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Pakistan Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos