"Snowy Mountains - A place for all seasons!" Top 5 Page for this destination Snowy Mountains by lachydragon
Snowy Mountains Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 195 photos
This photo is of some of the spring snow at Guthega Power Station - the Snowy Mountains are home to the amazing Snowy Hydroelectricity scheme built in the 1950s and still suppling power now.
The Snowy scheme drew upon the expertise of hundreds of European engineers many of whom settled in Australia and gave the region a generation of distinctive character.
In winter the town of Jindabyne is the main accommodation area for visitors to the NSW Ski-Fields. There are many motels, hotels, apartments and a couple of camping grounds in the town. Jindabyne is just outside of the Kosciusko National Park - the area of protected bushland within which are the main ski resorts of Thredbo, Perisher Blue and Charlotte's Pass.
There is, of course on-snow accommodation at the main resorts too.....but well out of my price range!
During winter you rarely get snow in Jindy' but it will be pretty darn cold!
PICTURE: The beautiful striped bark Snow Gums - a native alpine tree found in the Kosciuszko National Park
In summer the Snowy Mountains region of NSW tend to get overlooked. Take a trip there for fantastic summer bushwalking. The ski resort of Thredbo runs their main chairlift up to the main range so that walkers can do the trip up to mount Kosciuszko - Australia's highest mountain. Summer and spring are also great times to see the alpine wildflowers and have a bit of a bash at the adventure sports.
On the nearby Murray River take in a day trip of whitewater rafting, or use the ski slopes for some mountain bike riding (using the charlift back up top again). Also, Lake Jindabyne is a great spot for fishing and boating with places around the lake hiring catamarans and kayaks for the day.
After a couple of days of cross-country skiing we decided that we should spend an afternoon of snow-play so we found a... more travel advice
If you are visting Jindabyne in winter you must spend some time at the ski resorts in the National Park. This photo is... more travel advice
lachydragon's Related Pages
Snowy Mountains Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Roof of Australia"
- "Snowy Mountains and Kosciuszcko NP"
- "Snowy Mountains - A place for all seasons!"
- "The wild "Hinterland" - Snowy River Country"
- "Snowy Mountains & Kosciuszko National Park"
- "Snowy Mountains"
- "Snowy River Region"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Snowy Mountains
- Hotels in Snowy Mountains
- Transportation in Snowy Mountains
- Restaurants in Snowy Mountains
- Shopping in Snowy Mountains
- Warnings and Dangers in Snowy Mountains
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Snowy Mountains
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Snowy Mountains?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Snowy Mountains
Photos in Snowy MountainsSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skardu Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- India Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- South Stradbroke Island Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Islamabad Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Hushe Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Byron Bay Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Great Keppel Island Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos
- Hamilton Island Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Simla Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Pakistan Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
Latest Snowy Mountains hotel reviews
- Novotel Lake Crackenback Resort Snowy Mountains
- 1 Review & Opinion