"Skardu - our last taste of civilisation!" Top 5 Page for this destination Skardu by lachydragon

Skardu Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 145 photos

Skardu- the begining of our Baltistan Trek

In June 2001 I felw into Skardu - the capital of Pakistan's Baltistan region to begin my trek up into the Karakoram Mountains, walking the Baltoro Glacier for 15 days. Skardu itself never gets a good write-up simply because the town is fairly dull. However, don't let this dissuade you from this amazing region. Once you leave the hot and dust Indus Floodplain and climb up the roads out of town you enter the much cooler side valleys and get a true taste for the way of life and hospitality of the Balti People.

My Skardu page is the jumping-off point for the travelogues which describe my trek from Askolie (in the Shigar Valley) along the Bardumal river to Paiju Camp before climbing up onto the Baltoro Glacier and trekking to Concorida - the natural amphitheatre set amongst imposing 8000+ metre peaks (including K2). From Concordia our trekking group crossed the Gondogoro La - a 5500metre snow pass before dropping down into the Hushe valley.

My Hushe pages will then kick-in from there.

Check out my tips on Skardu itself before turning to the travelogues to read about my trek.
Please let me know what you think of my pages...and watch this space as i add more travelogue photos when time premits!

NEW!- July 2003 - I have finally updated some of the travelogues and added in some from when we reached the glacier - check out the newest travelogue for these pics.
If you like what you see please lemme know and rate these pages!

• Pros:Getting out of Skardu itself and heading for Kachura!
  • Cons:Battling the dust of the town itself!
  • Last visit to Skardu: Jun 2001
  • Intro Updated Jul 6, 2003

• Fudge's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2007 at 7:07 AM

So nice Skardu :) I only managed to do the flight this time... and plane had to turn back. Dang. Will be back one day! Have you read Greg Mortenson's Three Cups of Tea, set in Baltistan?

• TONY786's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Going sept 07 , love your page and pics..Pakistan is an amazing place

• shadan's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2006 at 7:40 AM

Very good work. Very neatly written. Love your pages!

• Saagar's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2006 at 4:01 PM

That's a great travelogue from your trek, good photos too!

• PTSD's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2005 at 5:56 AM

The one place im DYING to see in Pakistan is K2 !!! - Hope i get to see it someday ! -:)-Helpful tips on Skardu!-From Pakistan ITSELF ! :)

• Laurina's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2004 at 11:10 PM

Great tip about tipping the porters etc.... :o) I hope I get to go to Skardu before winter sets in!

• May 18, 2004 at 3:35 AM

Very informative page...Two weeks ago I was reading a travel book of Skardu...It was amazing your pictures gave life to the words that I've read....Very beautiful pictures...

• queenp's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2004 at 12:48 PM

Okay Drag, It sounds like you and your gang were starting to get a bit punchy at this point (Coffe tin gals). I haven't been in the middle of nowhere and can still appreciate the humour. What does thay say? Shukria!

• nox's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2004 at 4:48 AM

Thanks for the great tips, I will be heading off to Skardu in mid may. The pictures were great and the tip of taking a polarizing filter for my camera will be helpful.

• Mar 28, 2004 at 5:10 AM

Great pages! I'm leaving for Skardu and roof of the world tomorrow and very excited! Thanks for doing all these pages!

lachydragon

“Happiness is a non-cancelled flight booking (see India: Transport tips for the story...)”

Badges & Stats in Skardu