"Skardu - our last taste of civilisation!" Top 5 Page for this destination Skardu by lachydragon
Skardu Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 145 photos
In June 2001 I felw into Skardu - the capital of Pakistan's Baltistan region to begin my trek up into the Karakoram Mountains, walking the Baltoro Glacier for 15 days. Skardu itself never gets a good write-up simply because the town is fairly dull. However, don't let this dissuade you from this amazing region. Once you leave the hot and dust Indus Floodplain and climb up the roads out of town you enter the much cooler side valleys and get a true taste for the way of life and hospitality of the Balti People.
My Skardu page is the jumping-off point for the travelogues which describe my trek from Askolie (in the Shigar Valley) along the Bardumal river to Paiju Camp before climbing up onto the Baltoro Glacier and trekking to Concorida - the natural amphitheatre set amongst imposing 8000+ metre peaks (including K2). From Concordia our trekking group crossed the Gondogoro La - a 5500metre snow pass before dropping down into the Hushe valley.
My Hushe pages will then kick-in from there.
Check out my tips on Skardu itself before turning to the travelogues to read about my trek.
Please let me know what you think of my pages...and watch this space as i add more travelogue photos when time premits!
NEW!- July 2003 - I have finally updated some of the travelogues and added in some from when we reached the glacier - check out the newest travelogue for these pics.
If you like what you see please lemme know and rate these pages!
- Pros:Getting out of Skardu itself and heading for Kachura!
- Cons:Battling the dust of the town itself!
You should seriously consider bringing a polarising filter for your mountain photos up here. There are some stunning... more travel advice
Kachura Village was stunning at the time of year we were there (June) as the fruit trees were all laden with fruit and... more travel advice
- See All The place for most trekkers and...
- See All By tractor around Kachura!
- At the end of a trek things can get a...
lachydragon's Related Pages
Skardu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Base Camp"
- "Gateway to Baltistan and Beyond"
- "Skardu - our last taste of civilisation!"
- "Skardu, Baltistan, Pakistan"
- "Skardu Capital of the Baltistan Gateway to K2"
- "Skardu "The Little Tibet""
- "skardu Pakistan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Skardu
- Hotels in Skardu
- Transportation in Skardu
- Nightlife in Skardu
- Shopping in Skardu
- Warnings and Dangers in Skardu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Skardu
- 14 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Skardu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skardu
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skardu Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- India Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- South Stradbroke Island Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Islamabad Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Hushe Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Byron Bay Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Great Keppel Island Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos
- Hamilton Island Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Simla Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Pakistan Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos