"The Quiet Hill-Station" Top 5 Page for this destination Mussoorie by lachydragon

Mussoorie Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 208 photos

Shimla's little brother

Mussoorie sits in the Himalayan foothills in the Garhwal Region of the new-ish state of Uttaranchal in Northern India. It is one of the lesser-known hillstations - places where the British Raj (used to cooler climes) would retreat to during the sweltering heat and humidity of the Indian Plains.

Mussoorie has the hallmarks of a hill-sation, a vehicle free central mall which lends itself to prommenading, horse-rides and a cable car which will take you up to the higer ridges of the mountains where yo;u ;can get views of the mighty mighty Himalayas off in the distance.

I only had a day in Mussoorie as a side-trip from my Hindi classes in Dehradun, I wished I had been able to return up there again in my stay in Dehradun but other trips to Rishikesh and Haridwar got in the way - there's always next time I suppose!

As for my heading 'Shimla's little brother' well, my impression was on visiting both places that Mussoorie was the undiscovered and comparatively under-developed (in terms of vast accommodation complexes etc) hill station, and was perhaps happy to enjoy that niche status.

• In a nutshell:Escape to the mountains, without too much hype.
  • Last visit to Mussoorie: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 15, 2005

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2008 at 1:14 AM

Hey your page is actually great and informative. In India pollution control is very effective for new cars but for govt vehicle and buses it is perhaps a bit relaxed. At least for hills it has to be smog free! You could have stayed longer!

• Sep 27, 2007 at 11:16 AM

If you wish to 'get off the beaten path' of Mussoorie,head out toward the Tibetan Community, on the northern side of Mussoorie. Better Still go up the Valley to George Everest Hill Camp & Don't waste your time on Kempty Falls!

• oisha's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2005 at 5:03 AM

Lachy you are so lucky you studied Hindi in 2004. I did a year in 1991 and our class went to ... wait for it ... Lucknow! I bowed out. Had it been Dehradun, I might have actually gone. Your India pages are great - thanks for the great pics & descriptions.

lachydragon

“Happiness is a non-cancelled flight booking (see India: Transport tips for the story...)”

Badges & Stats in Mussoorie

Have you been to Mussoorie?